Bedtimes

What are your children's bedtimes? Sierra is 8 and her bedtime is normally at 8pm. However I've been thinking of changing that to 9 or 10 to see how she does. If she doesn't make us late getting up in the morning and seems to have enough sleep I might keep it at a later time. What do you think?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 8:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my trio (8, 6 and 3) go to bed between 7-7:30. they're up at 7 and off to school by 8:15
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My boys are 8 & 6. They used to go to bed at 8, but I spent the next hour shooing them back to bed b/c they were "thirsty" "needed to pee" "heard something" "saw something" "smelled something" "he did this" "but he did that", so on and so forth. Now they go to bed at 9, and it's straight off to sleep. They get up at 6 for school, they sometimes complain about being tired, but it's mostly just they don't want to go to school and instead of claiming sick, they claim tired. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My girls are 9, 7 and 3 1/2 and their bedtime is 7pm on school nights. My son goes to bed at 8pm, he's 8. At the beginning of the school year we tried both the older 2 at an 8pm bedtime but the 9yo would not wake up in the morning, threw fits and made us late the entire first week of school. Since she can't handle getting up and ready in the almost hour allotted in the morning (I wake them at 6:45am and we leave at 7:35am) we pushed her bedtime back to 7pm. The 7yo gets up just fine in the morning if she stays up later but she is so cranky at night (from not getting a nap all day) that she has to have an early bedtime. As long as the 8yo continues to get up without argument in the morning and not throw fits at night he can continue to stay up until 8pm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:13 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My 8 year old daughter goes to bed at 8pm....by the time she's actually sleeping, it's around 830 or so. She gets up at 715am for school and is out the door at 8am. I think 10 is way too late for a child. Heck, 10 is too late for me most of the time! :)
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• daughter is 5 and she is in bed anywhere between 7-8....friday and saturday nights she is allowed to stay up til 9-930..school days she is up by 720 and out the door by 810.

i also think 10 is to late for an 8 yr old..(on school nights)..kids still need 10-12 hrs of sleep a night...so why change something that is working for her?
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My kids are 6 and 3 they go to bed at between 8 and 830. and get up at 645am. We leave the house at 745. i have done a later bed time(9pm) for my son but then he was geting tired at school andnot concentrating so i moved it to 8. You need to ask yourself are you moving it because she needs it(she is not ready to sleep yet) or for you. I think if she is doing fine with the time she has now why mess witha good thing?
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Why change it? Because Dh gets home at 6 and by 8 she hasnt had a lot of time with him.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't do such a huge jump in bedtimes right away. Try 8:30 for a week or two and see how she does. If that goes well then do the 9 and see how that goes. I think 10 is too late.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My kids are 14 months, 8, 9 and 12. My 12 year old is special needs and goes to bed at 8 by choice. My 14 month old goes to bed between 7 and 7:30. My 8 and 9 year old go to bed at 8:30. Even going to bed at 8:30, I still have to wake them up at 7 to go to school, so I don't think they are ready for a later bedtime, even though they would like it!

Answer by missanc at 1:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You have a good bed time there. No need to change it. Let her stay up later in the summer, when the sun is out longer, and there is no school.
    My kids, 9&4 go to bed at 8, and get up at 6:30 for school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:31 AM on Jan. 8, 2010