Several breastfeeding questions. Please answer...

I'm completely clueless when it comes to breastfeeding. Ok, well maybe not completely. I do know that it's best for the baby! But, that's about all I know. No one in my family has breastfed so I don't have anyone I can ask. My son was formula fed from day one...but with my new baby I would like to give breast feeding a try. So, my questions are...
1. What do you need to get a good start with breastfeeding?
2. What is nice to have?
3. Are there certain OTC drugs you have to avoid like there is when you're pregnant?
4. Are breast fed babies really not supposed to have pacifiers?

I'm sure I'll have more questions...but for now this is it. Thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm going to suggest two things for you...drop by the BReastfeeding Moms group for loads of help...and pick up a copy of "So Thats What They're For. Those two things will cover question one...the most important thing is to get informed.

2. Sling, nursing pads, Lansinoh.

3. Not really. Decongestants CAN dry supply...but for the most part say bye bye to the restrictions of pregnancy. That goes for food too.

4. Pacifier aren't recommended because some babies change their latch...resulting in PAIN for mom. You can TRY them...don't be surprised if baby has no interest.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I gave DD a pacifer. She was full and so fussy and just screamed and screamed. As soon as I put the pacifer in her mouth I could feel the tension release from her and she fell right asleep. So I think that's up to you... I waited about three days before trying it. You do have to be careful wiht medications, your doctor can tell you what you can take, or just look them up. I don't thin kyou need anything but you and the baby! Maybe a pillow if you would like some extra support.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• 1. What do you need to get a good start with breastfeeding? Right after your baby is out of the womb.

2. What is nice to have? Breast pads, and lanolin, and drinks lots of water.

3. Are there certain OTC drugs you have to avoid like there is when you're pregnant? Check with your Dr, or lactation specialist, I can't remember.

4. Are breast fed babies really not supposed to have pacifiers? No, your baby will let you know if they want one or not.

I breastfed all 3 of ours but I don't claim to know everything, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• 1- baby to breast as often as they like (they are not like formula babies they dont get a schedule)
    2- What does this ? mean?
    3- you should read the label but as for things like motrin and aleve you can take them when bf but not when pregnant---I can explain that separate
    4- only for the first 6-12 weeks while you are establishing supply--
    one last note PLEASE consider going to one LLmeeting in your area-- they are an AWSOME resourse it is free and who knows you might make a new friend or 2
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• pacies are fine, yes certain meds to stay away from just like when preggo, and nothing you can do to prepare yourself
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• "You do have to be careful wiht medications, your doctor can tell you what you can take, or just look them up"

The Lact-Med database is the best online resource...google "last-med." Also be aware that docs usually aren't up on the current recommendations on meds and mother's milk. Lact-Med *is* as it's run by the National Institutes of Health.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• motrin and aleve are prositglandin inhibitors-- PROSTIN is the hormone secreted from week 12 - birht which keeps a PDA (patent ductus arteriosis) aka fetal circulation what happened if you take them when you are between week 12 and birth is the ductus starts to close and the baby is suffocated in utero you cut of its cardiac system--- once born we all go by normal not fetal circulation and so it is now OK to take those kind of meds
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• 1. What do you need to get a good start with breastfeeding?
    Feed right away, my daughter was born at 12:15 and was eating by 1:00, feed on demand

2. What is nice to have?
    I love using my boppy pillow to lay her on while I nurse. I also have a nursing cover, which I think is wonderful. You don't have to worry about holding it there and slipping like you would a blanket.

This I don't really know, I pretty much stick to tylenol

I nursed all three of mine and they all took pacifiers from day one and had no problems with latching and I have had no problem with supply. I have heard though that that can vary from baby to baby.
    Anonymous

• I would contact your local La Leche League for some real (not that over the internet isn't real, but you know what I mean) breastfeeding support. They also have good breastfeeding books that you can borrow. Reading about it ahead of time was probably the best thing I did to prepare for it. I was really lucky in that my MIL breastfed my husband and his sister and she was the first to visit (none of our family live near us) and she was really helpful in those first couple of days. She was really supportive as far as saying I was doing a good job with breastfeeding, whether or not I was or not. LOL! Because of reading the books and family support, I've never questioned whether I am producing enough. My daughter pees like a champ and is growing nicely. That's what matters.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• As far as OTC drugs, I've never really been sickly where I take a lot of medicines, but other than Motrin for a headache, I kind of just tough it out during the day. Right now I have a cold and I take Nyquil at night after my daughter is asleep. She has a long stretch of 7-9 hours at night, so I figure by the time she eats again, most of the medicine is gone and one time a day shouldn't affect my supply that much, if it does at all.
    I gave my daughter a pacifier when she was around 2.5 weeks old. If there had been any nipple confusion, I would have tossed it and been done with it, but so far so good and she's 4.5 months now. When she is done eating and just wants to suck, she does kind of cry at my nipple or kind of bang her mouth into it without latching on and then I give her the pacifier and she's done eating. At first I was concerned about that, but she still eats so I stopped worrying.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010