Wet hair in cold weather?

Just a random question:

Does having wet hair in cold weather really cause illness, or is it an old wives' tale?

redmoonintexas

Asked by redmoonintexas at 10:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Germs cause illness, not temperature. However, lowering your body temperature too far for a period of time can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness. I will tell you that when I first moved up north, I actually had my wet hair freeze in below freezing temperatures. That did a little damage.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I do believe it's an old wives tale- I don't like going out in cold weather with wet hair, but I do it. I don't automatically get sick, in fact I rarely do.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:05 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You cannot get sick souly due to being wet or souly due to being cold. You need to first be exposed to a virus or illness before you cold weather or wet weather can devlop it further. Cold weather is JUST cold weather and rain is JUST rain.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is an old wives tale.  Wet hair in cold weather makes you really really cold.  You lose 40% of your body heat from the top of your head.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Cold can't directly make you sick, but it can lower your immune system.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Old wives tale. But a parent at my preschool said that if you go out with wet hair it can freeze and break off!! Let it thaw before doing anything with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I'm in the unique scenario of when I'm really cold that makes my pregnancy nausea increase (maybe from my tummy shaking when I shiver).

Anyway for me, wet hair in the cold definitely makes me feel more sick.

....but yeah that's just a random non-virus thing for me.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• "You lose 40% of your body heat from the top of your head." THAT is an old wive's tale... at least according to Dr. Oz.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Germs cause illness
    however, letting wet hair freeze can cause irreversible damage.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Germs cause illness, not temperature. However, lowering your body temperature too far for a period of time can weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible to illness.

What this mama said.....she's the first person to answer.  Also, having lived in Maine, your hair turns into icicles and you feel miserable later on.  It's best to go outdoors in the freezing temps with a dry scalp at least and with a hat on top to hold in your body heat.

PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2010