Pageants

Would you, or have you entered your daughter/son in pageants? Do you feel like it was worth it?

I'm wanting to enter my DD in a pageant, frankly because I want to dress her up, doll her up and show her off. Now, that reasoning is only because she's under 1 and I know she would honestly not benefit from it at this age. But what about the future?

My DH thinks it's silly, and thinks it will lead to low self esteem if she doesn't win.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• It all depends on how YOU portray it to her- Is it about the fun, the showing off, the being cute? Or is it about winning, getting ahead of the other girls, and being the best? If you do it for fun and don't take it seriously she'll be fine, but if you make it a career like some of these women (Think the TV show "Little Miss Perfect") I think that's too far and that can be detrimental to a growing girls self-esteem.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• well, i always wanted to do it when I was little cuz I wanted to dress up and sing in front of people, but my mom wouldn't allow me to do that sort of thing. She thought the same thing as your DH. I think you should wait till she's old enough to want to do something like that and see if it is something that would interest her.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think it's wrong to parade your child around in front of a crowd dolled up like a prom queen. They're children. They do not need to be dolled up in makeup, hairspray, and the-like. Your reasonings are shallow. Why would you want to subject your child to being judged like that?

I think it is wrong for any child to be in a pagent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• So, you will be doing this for you basically because at 1 yr old she has no idea what is going on. I have to side with your DH based in what your reasons are. I could think of alot more things to do with your child than to doll her up.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• ugh....pageants are so creepy! plastic children in little dresses....

buy her dresses and take her to the mall where real people can ooh and aah over her.

save your money.
    Anonymous

• I have three daughters and I've had all of them in at least one pageant when they were younger. My oldest daughter started doing pageants when she was 8 months old and was in them until she was 2. I would still have her in them if I had the money to do so. I think pageants are a great way for young girls to learn some healthy compitition and interract with other girls their age. The important thing is to explain to them as they get older that it is just for fun and it's ok if they don't win. I don't think it's selfish for you to want to do this with her at such a young age because if you get into the correct pageants, you could actually win cash or scholarships which would benefit you daughter later in life and when she gets older she will love to hear the stories of her pageant days. I would recommend that you chose the pageants wisely, though. Try to stay away from the ones where make-up and such are basically required.
    sweet_krissy

Answer by sweet_krissy at 10:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

I would never put my daughter in them. besides what she said- I would be afraid it would make her into someone who is overly concerned with looks and that yes she would end up with esteem issues...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:55 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Pageants are gross!
    Anonymous

• I did a pagent once...I hated it...but I got like 3rd place or whatever you call it...I wouldn't put my daughter in a pagent. The time you have to put into it sucks and the make-up...then all the snotty ass mom's who act like their kid is better than you...f that.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think there are a lot of better things to do with your daughter than teach her that looks matter. I also find it funny because a ton of these kids aren't even super cute in real life but look like misproportioned dolls after the make-up. Ever watch Toddlers in Tiaras on TLC?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010