Should we do this?? Or is it abusing the system??

I am on PA and my caseworker sent me a letter about a training opportunity to become a FAA certified Aircraft Mechanic. The requirements are that you either have to 1.) been fired 2.) no longer able to collect unemployment 3.) unlikely to return to a previous industry or occupation 4.) a displaced homemaker.

My dh would fall under #3. He is a truck driver and is gone for several weeks and we are barely making ends meet. But that would require him leaving a job that he already has. He is on the fence about it but i really want him to do it. Because right now our ultimate goal is to get him and be able to afford it. His being gone all the time is tough on the kids and myself. And this job doesn't feel worth it. Do you think it's a good idea or would that be considering abusing the system?? I am starting school soon as well so I guess we will be living off of our tax return until he finishes the training.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• if its going to improve your family for the better and get you off the PA i say go for it
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ask your caseworker.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• if your caseworker has an IQ higher than that of a 3 year old, take the opportunity
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 10:15 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Ummm... exactly what is there to think about again??? I don't know maybe it's just me, but I really prefer men who have jobs and can make an honest living, oh ya and those that actually make money...
    Anonymous

• He is worried that we will struggle more because while he's doing the program we will make significantly less money and have to draw more pa. the foodstamps will go up and we will need daycare since both of us will be in school and working. I think he is afraid of putting us in a tighter position than what we are already in for the next year or so. It's like taking a step back to take 2 steps forward and that is a scarey thought and it changes all our plans.
    Anonymous

• Take the opportunity. I am in that program and it is amazing. I get tuition, books and some other supplies paid for. I woork part time though, but still get food stamps and medical.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• how long is it supposed to last?
    Anonymous

• I would go for it. It will benefit your family for both of you to go to school and have more opportunities. I'm sure it would be good for the kids if your husband could have a job that allowed him to be home more. If you're both going to school with no income, you should be able to get PELL grants. Apply for scholarships, too - it is totally worth your time! If you get one, your PELL grant will be released to you for living expenses. Don't waste your time on FastWeb, though. I've gotten scholarships the last three years, but never found anything useful on that website. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• where is the best place to look for scholarship and since it is sooo close to this semester starting is it too late to be looking one or would it be awarded for the fall or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Different scholarships have different timing requirements... The people at my community college told me to just Google "your major, scholarships" or "what job you wish to hold, scholarships". Some universities will have lists on their financial aide web page, or a list you can pick up in person. Definately contact your school about it though.
    To answer your original question- If it is going to better your family & ultimately get you off PA, go for it.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 1:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2010