How to wean a 10 month old from his bottle and pacifier?

My son is 10 months old - he sleeps through the night from 8 - 8. I have weaned him to 3 bottles a day - I am trying to wean his 11:00 a.m. bottle - Should I switch it to juice? He has also been on a sippy cup since 6 months. Should I then wean the night bottle or day bottle first.

missjenn222

Asked by missjenn222 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Talk to your pedi about it. Mine told me that a baby should only have 4oz of anything to drink but formula a day because up untill a year the formula is suppose to be the main source of most things. If you want to take him off a bottle i'd start with the mid day one and turn it into a baby food meal with a little juice.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 8:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

• i have cut my daughter pacifier at 9 month when the doctor me to take away..

I have done this.. I only use the pacifier when she nap or sleep at night.. because she need to fall asleep.and then when she wake up i take out from her mouth.. until she doesn't need it..
    If you going for long day out take it with you so he can nap with pacifier
    now she has not use the pacifier from last month

I have wean the day time.. formula.. you should not wean night time.. because they fall asleep right after they drink they formula..
    and as for sippy cup start using it.. just give the formula bottle at night and use the sippy cup during the day time..

I have not start let my daughter drink any juice.. She been drinking water most of the time..

my daughter only drink formula a day.. and it at night time..
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

• At ten months your child should still be drinking primarily breast milk or formula. I forget now exactly how many ounces of juice is the max - I am thinking it's 6 ounces. The rest should be breast milk or formula. Your baby needs the nutrients in it for healthy brain development. If you are just looking for the child to use the sippy cup in place of the bottle, that's fine, put the breast milk or formula in the sippy cup. Usually, as you are replacing the bottle with a sippy cup, the night time bottle is the hardest to part with so I would start with the day time bottles. Leave the night time bottle for last. But again, don't replace it with juice. Juice really doesn't have much nutritional value at all. As for the pacifier, a lot of parents have had success by cutting off the ends of the pacifier and progressively cutting more off until the child doesn't want it any more.
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 10:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2008

• Mix the formula in the bottle first, then put it in the sippy cup for him to drink. That's what I did with my kids that way I wouldn't have to fight with them to get the bottle off of them. And they still got the formula they needed. Then once they turned a year old I just switched to whole milk.
    dhalinka

Answer by dhalinka at 12:14 AM on Sep. 13, 2008