Do you tip housekeeping?

I am on a roadtrip and was just sitting here thinking about it. My mother always tipped housekeeping, when I said something about this to my inlaws they looked at me like I had 10 heads. So do you tip? What range? I am guessing that it depends on the price of the hotel but what is your guidelines?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 10:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Travel

• It depends, if we stay more than one night we always do. If it's just one night we'll leave something if it's extra messy or if we happen to have some cash on hand, but not always. I used to work in housekeeping at a hotel and it is greatly appreciated, but certainly not expected, at least not where I worked. Here's a tip for you though - don't remake the bed, if you really want to be helpful strip it and toss all the linens in a pile. I never understood why people would remake the bed, it just makes the housekeepers job that much more difficult.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It depends in the country you are vacationing, for instance in Japan it will be considered an insult to tip anybody, In Mexico it will be the norm to tip everybody. If it is in the states, I would tip depending on the hotel price and the service I get. It is really up to you just make sure if you are overseas that it is customary to tip.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It is optional to tip housekeeping, they do accept tips, but it is up to you whether or not to leave one. I don't know the perecntage I always go on the "a job well done" motto!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• yes we leave money for housekeeping at the hotels. We just got back from boston we were there for 2 nights and tiped 3o. ten each night... oh we had an extra room for one night.

hummm.... wonder if that is resonable or too cheap
    Anonymous

• I always tip housekeeping, they're cleaning up my mess! I don't have a set amount, just depends on how messy I've been!
    Anonymous

• only if we had a party in the room and it is tossed around a little bit

_mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 10:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• $1-2 a day, per person

Answer by rkoloms at 7:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yes, you tip housekeeping. it's amazing the better service and little extras you'll get in a nicer hotel. my uncle used to tip in chocolates, pretty little boxes he would buy on sale after holidays and save till he was out of town on business. my ol man tips a flat $5 daily but then again his rooms usually run around $100 120 a night. cheaper room, lesser tip i would say.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I ALWAYS tip housekeeping. My sister was a housekeeper for many years and some of the stories of the things she'd come across would curl your hair and they make nothing for pay. And this is at a decent mid-range priced hotel too! Not some crappy Super 8! I always leave at least a few bucks a day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I work in hotel housekeeping, at Super 8 and it is NOT crappy, as the previous poster claims. My Super 8 has made Pride status for 20 years running! As far a tipping goes, I average between $ 5 and $15 per guest, because I am that good, and I know how to treat a guest! I had a guest the other day apologize for not leaving a tip because their finances would not allow it. I don't need someone to leave a tip all the time, but a simple "Thank You" or a compliment is always appreciated and welcomed!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 3:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2010