HOW would YOU initiate and follow through on fixing the healthcare crises with insurance and doctors and hospitals for our country's employees and families?

Should each person be capped at a specific dollar amount and given a specific dollar amount to pay themselves until coverage to see any doctor any place is used up? Not that I think that's a good idea, I'm just making up a scenario to start with. Healthcare affects all relationships, personal and work too. That's why it's in Relationships.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 10:22 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• I would follow the singapore model with "universal" health savings accounts.

They still get good service like we do here, and the market competition spurred by the health savings system has cut their costs to be about half what we pay.
    Anonymous

• singapore like the country? From how you describe it is that what both Canada and England each have for health care? I think it's shameful that so many people in the US of all ages and health levels are suffering for lack of money for care when really a lot can be done to improve or settle, maintain care of many.

singapor healthcare? can i google that?
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• How about we do away with insurance and go back to a cash and carry lifestyle? We would have about 900 a month more if not for health insurance!
    Anonymous

• I am British and now live in Canada.  While both countries health care services have their advantages and their disadvantages, neither would work for the US.  The sheer volume of the US population would make it to costly.    

I do think a combination of private health care and government health care along with strictly regulated insurance providers would be the best way to go for you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My family kind has the cash and carry in a way - we can choose any doctor or lab or hospital we want - if it's in network we save a little not much anymore and if its out of network we're responsible for more. We want that choice. More hospitals anyway are making upfront payment required before some services anyway. Make you rethink if a plastic surgery is truly necessary and if joannie's teeth are like the crookedest road in san francisco or only as crooked as a bent pinky.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:51 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We have major medical covers hospitalizations and surgeries with a 250 copay when we use it. Our plan also covers doctors preventative visits which can reduce the need for hospitalizations and surgery. Anytime we need to go to the doctor for minor injuries or illness we pay the costs we pay 300 a month for the plan but we were paying 1k a month for insurance so we put the 700 in a savings account and use that to pay out of pocket expenses. We rarely go to the doctor so we have nearly 8k in the account now. I think have full coverage for catastrophic things and then savings accounts for other expenses would work for many. The Government could put money in the health savings accounts of the low income. People who have good plans through employers should not be penalized and should be able to keep them without fear of being dumped because of the Gov.
    Anonymous