How does one deal with a screaming baby?

My daughter is three weeks old and her crying drives me crazy. The pediatrician wants me to change her diaper before feeding her but she screams until she gets the bottle. If I feed her first and then change her she won't go back to sleep. Is there any advice that you can give to me to stop her crying or if not any ideas on how to deal with it without losing my mind or my temper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, put ear plugs in while you change her. What is she going to do? Smack you into giving her the bottle faster? Let her cry, change her, feed her, put her to bed. (Do not wear ear plugs constantly.) But I did use them when my kids were young and had colic. :( I am sorry you are going through this.
    Anonymous

• If you are feeling like you are going to pull your hair out, change her, feed her and put her down somewhere safe and take some you time. Get a shower or something, it won't hurt to let her cry for a little while. Try to remember, she's just a tiny baby, and the real world is a huge adjustment!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• When you get that frustrated and angry when your child cries your best bet is to walk away for a moment and take a deep breathe. Darling it's just the beginning of the screaming if your little one is only 3 wks old. Good Luck:)
    Anonymous

• there is nothing wrong with laying your baby in the crib for 5 mins and stepping outside to get some fresh air. For one, she is in a safe place that she will not get hurt. For two, it gives you a chance to collect yourself. Always try to be in a good mood around the baby. She is a very good energy reader and she can read your negative and positive energy. Another thing that was a life saver for us (we had a baby that cried 18 hours a day for 6 weeks, sometimes longer) is to put a reciving blanket in the dryer long enough to get it warm and then swaddle her in it. At that age, they still have a hard time controlling their body temps and the warmth is comforting. In the hospital, they wrap a fussy baby in warm blankets to help soothe them. Give it a shot, it just might help. Good Luck mama and it does get easier as time goes by!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:46 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• pediatricians always have a lot to say on what to do and what not to do. They are not in your home, your baby is not theirs and I say you do what works for you. No one can tell you how to mother, no one can tell you the right and wrong way to do something. All situations are different and nothing is textbook. Or, try the swing to calm her down after she eats. My daughter had colic really badly. The swing was my savior. Good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• good response vickwu!!
    Anonymous

• what I do with a crying baby is soothe them. thats my job and thats what babies need. some ways to soothe them are to nurse (or pacify, if you don't breastfeed), hold them close to your in a sling or some sort of wrap, rock, bounce, make the "shhhh" sound. but from what I found nothing soothes a baby better than physical touch... its very healing and soothing for mommy and baby and the baby will gain trust when you soothe and comfort them when they cry. Nothing is worse and more unnatural than letting a baby cry it out.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• You need to pay closer to attention to cues. When a baby is WAILING for a bottle it means they've been hungry for quite some time and they've reached red level desperation. Nothing will soothe but a bottle. You are still learning, but now you need to know to watch for rooting, drooling, and fist sucking. those are all precursor cues. The green and yellow zone of need. You can safely change a baby and they won't wail upset.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/hunger-cues.html

You learn quickly to check the diaper more often and also to be prepared to head hunger off at the pass.  Because when you miss all of the baby's signals...well...your ears will pay for it.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Oh, i know that you are bottle feeding, but the hunger cues are the same as for breastfeeding.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Some babies just do not like diaper changes. My friend's 7 month old still hates them and cries and cries all throughout.
    Anonymous