Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

voluntary termination of parental rights texas

Has anyone done this in Texas? My child's father does not want to be in her life (I'm due Jan. 25th). We've talked about terminating his parental rights and now that it's gotten so close I think it's the right thing to do. He has no income (provable anyway), doesn't want to pay child support, and doesn't want visitation. Although this hurts me deeply, I think in the long term it would be better than fighting about child support which he will not pay or arguing about visitation that he doesn't want anyway. Has anyone gone through with this procedure? It's basically like an adoption, but he's giving his rights to me.
Although I could just leave his name off the birth cert, I'm afraid that years later he will show up demanding a paternity test and be able to pursue some form of custody. I would rather have this issue cleared up now than later. Also does this guarantee that he won't have to pay child support?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (9)
  • He still owes money to support his child!! You can terminate visitation rights, but make him responsible for you childs welfare,,,,and I think you should, he doesn't get visitation because he is the bio dad, but if you have the ability to financially take care of your baby then go ahead, I am so sorry this is happening!!!! Crazy how one day you love someone, and then they become the person you least want around, good luck momma, BTW---my DH had a dad who left and 14 years later, he had to pay child support!!!! So don't count that out if you need the help!

    Answer by kimigogo at 11:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • The only thing I know for sure is that if he gives up his rights he will not be obligated to pay any sort of child support. In fact, unless you open a child support case against him he won't have to pay anything for her, but there are certain assistance programs that require you to go after support (like daycare assistance and welfare money). Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:09 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • Kitten is right. He won't have to pay child support if the rights are terminated.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • In texas we don't have to have someone willing to adopt her. It's a separate proceeding. The forms even state that an adoption may follow, but it's not a requirement. Honestly the child support is not worth it. It would only be around 280 a month. While that's better than nothing it doesn't really help that much. It is sad, but I think in the long run it will save a lot of hardship. The voluntary termination is apparently just like adoption, but it's a one-sided adoption. I feel like it's better than having her be disappointed by a dad that's never around or that argues with me about the pittance he has to pay in support. The first couple years will be rough but I can't make him be a parent if he doesn't want to.

    Answer by BABYJANUARY2010 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • In Md my SIL had a baby & the dad wanted nothing to do with her. She did not put him on bc & he has never contacted them since. She makes a great income & has been able to move on with no problem from him

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • Wow and FYI the people at legal forum are pretty ruthless. Apparently I'm a terrible person for allowing a man to sign over his rights. I was asking for legal advice on the issue not a berating session. Some people amaze me. All of a sudden I'm the bad guy for letting a man walk away legally who was going to do so anyway? Give me a break here. I don't have an obligation to help someone who wants to turn his back on my child. I'm 37 weeks pregnant it was obviously a huge accident, but I'm trying to do the right thing for my daughter. I'm not going to "encourage" and hold a grown man's hand while I'm trying to raise a child alone. I don't even know why I even bother with some people. Plus the question was legal in nature, not what should I do to make my babys father want to be there. I'm sorry for venting, but this is hard enough dammit. I'm just trying to do the right thing for my child as a single mom.

    Answer by BABYJANUARY2010 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • My only worry about the not putting his name on the bc is that 1. He can come back anytime and change his mind. Luckily your SIL's babys father didn't. 2. If anything happened to me he could petition for custody. I would like to have a will set up so that my parents or my sister and brother in law could take her. If he's never on the birth cert he could claim he never knew about her or whatever and have legal rights to take her from the only family she's known.

    Answer by BABYJANUARY2010 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

  • your child deserves the child support. You need to file for it; put the money away for college...

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • you kn ow I actually have a similar situation, and was looking all over for this form for my ex to fill out. if you find it please let me know. and don't listen to any of the negativity people are throwing at you... I think it is great that you do this, better for your baby to have no father at all than to have one who hates it.

    Answer by emmaleigh_mommy at 6:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.