Little kids with cavities :( What to expect at the dentist?

I'm taking my 7.5 year old to the dentist on Saturday, but I was looking in her mouth tonight (she usually brushes her own teeth, I decided to brush her tonight) and noticed what I think are a couple of cavities. I feel so bad for her, like it's my fault she has them.

So, if any of your children have had cavities, what can we expect at the dentist? Do they put them out to fill? Did you change their brushing habits, and eating/sweets habits? I don't want this to happen to her again.

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 11:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the first time my little sis went to the dentist she was about 6 and she had 4 or 5 cavities. so don't feel bad. it can happen even if you watch what they eat. they'll probably just give novacaine to numb it while they fill it. i would just make sure she brushes really well from now on.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• IF THIS IS HER FIRST APPOINTMENT ITS A CHECK UP AND CLEANING--NOTHING PAINFUL ON SATURDAY--THEY WILL TAKE XRAYS--THEN THE DENTIST SHOULD DO THE EXAM AND COME UP WITH A DENTAL PLAN IF THERE IS CAVITIES.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• It's her first appointment in over a year :( It's my fault, I didn't make time to take her every 6 months like you are supposed to. Maybe they will fill them a week later??
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Kiwi's dentist offer's to use Novocain or laughing gas with a scented nose thing to fill cavities, or if the child is really scared or has too many to fill in one or two appointments, he can do it at the hospital with the kid knocked out. We brush Kiwi's teeth, then let her do it herself to "finish, and take care of what mom or dad missed". This way she doesn't feel as though we are babying her, and she learns the correct way to brush.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Our dentist is great with kids. They now have this gadget that pinches the nerve and then you can have them filled. No needles whatsoever. Also gets a gift out of the fishbowl when they're done.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:32 PM on Jan. 6, 2010