How can I help console my 7 week old who has his 1st cold? Any Ideas?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 11:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not much. Just TLC, litte noses nose drops, some suctioning, and a cool mist humidifier to help with breathing and just time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I think my son was about that age when he got his first cold. It scared the crap out of me! Propping him up in his Boppy really helped him to breathe while he slept.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 11:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't prop with a pillow directly under the baby, but putting one under his mattress in his crib would be much more safe. I'm not sure if that was what the previous poster was referring to, but I had a friend that took that literal and had her new baby right on top of a pillow which puts the baby at higher risk of SIDS or suffocation. Also if you get the bathroom nice and steamy and hold him in there for 15 minutes or so that helps break up any congestion. It's hard when babies are sick because you can't give them anything to make them comfortable, not even Tylenol. Definitely use the cool mist humidifier and LOTS of suctioning, but be careful not to irritate his little nose. As far as propping goes, my second son had RSV when he was 5 months old and we moved the frame of his crib up a couple of notches higher at the head of the crib, that was the support was still firm for him.

TruckersWife426

Answer by TruckersWife426 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Lots of nursing and hugs.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2010