At what point is a good time to move my baby to his own room and outta ours?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 11:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm a cosleeper. But IF I were to do it, I would not do it until the age of SIDS danger has passed (say between six months and a year).
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Too funny (above)!! You really never actually have to have the baby in the same room with you at all. SIDS is not very common at all and most of the time, it's a blanket diagnosis anyway. As long as you have a monitor in your room and babies, you are too fine. This cosleeping stuff is nonsense. Get a good night's sleep and enjoy your life.. after all, you did have the umbilical cord cut didn't you?? I think most of these cosleeping, crunchy moms drag the umbilical cord around forever...
    Anonymous

• Whenever you feel comfortable. I moved mine first at 6 weeks and my second at 3 months. I wanted to keep my second with us a little longer but she grew out of her bassinet and there is no room for a pack and play or crib and we don't co-sleep. I know a lot people keep their babies in their room until 6 months, but really it was whatever works for you.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• My son is still in my room and he's 5 months old. I don't plan on moving him out any time soon (he's in the pack n' play next to our bed) because I just sleep better knowing he's right next to me. If he was in his crib in the other room I probably wouldn't sleem a wink because I'd be going in there every 2 seconds to check on him. Once I feel comfortable having him sleeping in his own room then that's when I'll move him out. Everyone is so concerned with the child learning to be independent and what not but really, you are the one that's going to have to deal with the struggles of him not wanting to sleep in his own bed/room (if that even arises and in many cases the transition isn't even a problem) so why everyone else gets their panties in a bunch, I'll never know.
    Anonymous

• MOVE HIM OUT NOW YOUR READY OR YOU WOULDN'T BE ASKING. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Anony: Cosleeping is not nonsense. The higher the rate of cosleeping the lower the rate of SIDS which is known formerly as COT death or CRIB death. Babies often have irregular breathing patterns and if they fall asleep too deeply this is one of the reasons (not the only) for cessation of breathing. This does not happen with cosleeping because the proximity of adults helps regulate the babies breathing and movements of others keeps them from entering deep sleep for an abnormally long time.

that is why if i were not cosleeping, I would NOT PERSONALLY move the baby to a separate room monitor or no monitor until they reached a more mature state. Most cases of sids occur BEFORE six months of age and inthat time frame the vast majority of cases occure between two and four months old. There are between 2 and 3 thousand cases of SIDS in the US per year.

It is something to consider carefully.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:47 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• We moved our DD out of our room when she out grew the weight and age recommendations on her bassinet at about 3 months and we used a monitor and never had any problems with the transition. Hope this helps. If you are still unsure talk to your doc and he/she should be able to offer some more advice.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• mine is 15 months and teething lm waiting until he sleeps thought the night. l feel it is up to the mom l just like to hear him if he gets up and our bed room. he is in a crib and sleeps there and does not sleep with us but in the room. l can hang that not sleep in our bed.
    emilyh2008

Answer by emilyh2008 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We moved our daughter out of our room once we knew she was fully comfortable sleeping in her own bed. She coslept until 18 months, when she night weaned, and then we put her on a mattress on the floor next to our bed. She was ready to move into the room with her sister about a month after that.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my daughter is 6 months old and i dont hink im gonna move her any tume soon i feel more comfortable when shes with me
    gizmom529

Answer by gizmom529 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2010