How do I go about weening my toddler from the boob?

She's 13 months

leeann509

Asked by leeann509 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think a lot of this advice is from people who bottle fed their children. It makes sense for a bottle fed child to transition to a sippy cup and lose the bottle. With a breastfed baby often the child IS drinking from a sippy cup, and still nursing several times a day, so it's not just a matter of getting baby to drink from a different container.   She also can't just stop nursing. Well, I guess you could, but if you don't gradually cut back your body will continue making the milk it thinks you need and you'll end up uncomfortable and engorged. (Possibly with mastitis, which is no fun.)

Here is an article with some info on weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning_faqs.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I froze my breast milk and had someone else feed them (i.e., husband or oldest son) when I wasn't around. I used bottles with liners and Nuk nipples. The milk, frozen in the bottle liner, thaws easily under cold/lukewarm water. Don't know if these items are still available, since this was years ago. As long as I was around, my kids associated me with food and I felt like a cow. However when they're hungry, and I'm not around, a bottle would suit them just fine. Weaning was easy! Good luck!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Well she should already be on solid foods and possibly table foods.. just don't breast feed lol.. you can choose to still do it at night but if you give her other things to eat she won't breast feed as much..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• YOU CAN SUPPLIMENT BOTTLES IN BETWEEN FEEDING AND SLOWLY BACK OF BF. FOR EXAMPLE IF YOU BF 8 TIMES A DAY THEN THE NEXT DAY GO TO 7, NEXT 6 AND SO ON GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i just started bfing at night then slowly switched her to a bottle at night. took about a month and it was done :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• This is a great resouce: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• At 13 months you should be able to transition straight to a sippy cup instead of a bottle

Answer by missanc at 10:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree with transitioning to the sippy cup. This is when I started to rock my kids to sleep. I sat down in the rocker with the sippy cup, lights low, and with a blankie.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• PhilsBabyMama-I did not take that (bottle fed) into consideration and I should have elaborated my answer. So I will try. I did nurse full time, all 3 kids. The first step in weening my kids was to get them to know HOW to use the cup. I did not want to pump my milk, so I weened after 1 yrs old, which I saw it safe to give whole milk into the cups. PhilsBabyMama is right about engorgement so here is what I did, if you have the time: For the first week I cut out one nursing and replaced it with a snack. The next week, I replaced another nursing with a snack and so on until I gradually was left with the night feeding. Pretty easy so far. When I was ready to stop the night feeding I sat in the rocking chair with the sippy. They learned that sitting there quietly, lights low, was nighty night time.

You can link on to LaLecheLeague too! I bet its got lots of info on weening...GL!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• (Sorry to be a post hog!) lol Ive heard lots of great stuff about Kellymom.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:51 PM on Jan. 6, 2010