• In the Spotlight:

Can he REALLY not afford to pay child support? Or is that just a convenient excuse to avoid his responsibility??

Does he drive a car? Then he can downgrade to a cheaper one so he can afford to take care of his child.

Does he have an apartment (or own a home)?
Does he ever eat out for lunch or dinner? Go to movies?
What about that daily latte at Starbucks? His awesome CD collection?

The point I'm trying to make is, there's no excuse for a man not to contribute SOME money towards the care of his child, even if he's on disability or collecting unemployment insurance.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I went to divorce court and the question of child support arose, my husband protested at the amount saying that he thought the judge should take into consideration his child support to his first wife. The judge looked at him and said "This is your second wife and second set of kids. I suggest you get another job." ROTFLMMAO
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:34 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• i totally agree, he helped make the baby he can support it
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• I completely agree!!! you can ALWAYS cut back to help feed your kid(s).
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 12:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He could at least do something but I do have to say from being in my situation (granted I don't know yours) my dh has to pay $800 a month for one 4 year old! He is in the military and his commander will not let him get a second job becuase he is essential personnel and needs to be available 50+hours a week and to expect to be called in addition to that. I'm the one that is workigng 2 jobs to keep the electric on and feed our one kid while she somehow just bought a new 2010 car! hmmm funny. I feel for you though if he is just being greedy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am supposed to pay child support for my son $243 a month to be exact. I never hear from him or his father. I do not work. My husband pays the child support. We have 3 other kids to take care of and there have been times when it's a few weeks late. I have to take care of the ones who live with me. If it means that his father, who has alienated me since my son was 5, does not support on time, oh well. It's not like he lets him call me or see me. I don't even have his number. Our cars are paid off, we do not have cable television, our clothes are second hand, we usually have about $20 in the bank. I could get a job and have looked, but daycare is too much. My ex and his wife make 5 times what my husband does. So they can suck it up. The kids I have with me now need food on their plates too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I completely agree with you, OP. What really gets me is when they use their additional kids, that they had AFTER the kids with us, as their reason for not paying. Well....you knew what you knocked that chick up (or when you got knocked up by that guy, being fair here), that you had these other kids. Did you think we would just magically disappear? *Poof, sperm meets egg, we're suddenly on another plane of existence* Damn, I hate it when that happens. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He could at least do something but I do have to say from being in my situation (granted I don't know yours) my dh has to pay $800 a month for one 4 year old! He is in the military and his commander will not let him get a second job becuase he is essential personnel and needs to be available 50+hours a week and to expect to be called in addition to that. I'm the one that is workigng 2 jobs to keep the electric on and feed our one kid while she somehow just bought a new 2010 car! hmmm funny. I feel for you though if he is just being greedy
    _________________________________________________

$800 a month is NOT alot of money. That wouldn't even cover part time child care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think that this is a matter for the child support enforcement office.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My ex whines about it-but he most assuredly does pay. What sucks is he pays less because I make more.
    Kind of unfair that he NEVER takes them for the visitation I spent $20K on lawyers for.
    Never calls them on Christmas, and has YET to offer up a nickel for their college funds.
    I JUST found out he had some bonds in the oldests name. He tried to cash them I think-and only told me about them because he was unable to cash them without her signature. Now I have a Lawyer looking into if there are more bonds.
    Tea4Tas

Answer by Tea4Tas at 7:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree that the non custodial parent (or in my case both parents) should have to pay CS no matter their
    funds. My dh paid his CS on time, did it by the book with the courts, even while on unemployment, he also
    had to pay all medical expenses..
    When I divorced my ex over 20 yrs ago the courts then placed a $40.00 a month for both of my dds amount
    for CS..
    He goes to jail, courts stop all support. He gets on disability and courts say they can not go after that
    type of money... I never received a penny ...
    Now I have custody of my grandson and the courts only ordered my dd to pay for her other 2 children and
    not the oldest (the one I am raising and since his birth 9 yrs ago) His father and his new wife are off limits
    bc they collect PA and he gets disability chks... now gs gets 43.00 a month from ss bc of his father and the
    courts thinks this is enough.

The court system works and it doesn't work...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010