spay and declaw relief

My kitten is coming home tomorrow after 2 nights at the vet after her surgery. What can I do to make her healing process as painless as possible. We have another cat (4 years old) who adores her- but he is a very compulsive licker. I am nervous that he will super lick her wounds and possibly reopen them.
I feel like having the 2 cats together will help the kitten feel more relaxed, etc. but I am worried. Any suggestions on how to have my fur baby's healing go smoothly are greatly appreciated. Thank you:)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2010 in Pets

• I am a registered Vet Tech. You will want your cat to not be active for 7-10 days after the surgery. I know cats are wild and yes want to run around but you have to give the paws and her spay area time to heal. 2nd off you need to use yesterdays news for her littler so that they dont get infected. No Bathing for 10 days until everything is healed. Good Luck

Danielle
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 12:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Try to keep them separated so she can fully heal.

She's strictly an indoor cat? I sure hope so.

Anonymous

• yes she is. please. no bashing on my decision to declaw.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:43 PM on Jan. 5, 2010

• Mine are declawed. One is. Both are fixed. My one that is declawed, they f*ched her paws up. I'm still pissed about that. But, it seems to me that they heal quickly. With my first cat, he came home with bandages. My second had dissolvable stitches. But they heal quickly, just be careful when she first gets home. She may still be really sleepy.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• She needs to be kept isolated from the other cat for a least week so that she has time to heal. If she is not she will want to be more active then she should be once the drugs have completely worn off.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Also your vet should be giving a pain injection that will last for about 3 days. I would ask to be sure but I bet they will. YOu would be suprised how fast she bounces back! You will be given instructions from your vet on home care and you will find it hard to keep kitty slowed down! animals are so much better at handling pain that us wimpy people. :0) She will be fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2010