Just wanted to share!!

Oh how I love, hate, smile, cry, and jump for joy!! I have my son back. He's been on meds since he was 4 almost 5. I hated it, every minute of it. I took him off, he's 8, for Christmas Break, told his teacher today that he's no longer on any medication and that we are going to be working on this everyday.
I am looking into Behavior Therapy, for both of us, I am going to have his tested for food alergies, and I am taking this one day at a time!! :)
Even though he is all over the place, running, jumping, and being told a few times to calm down, it sure is nice to see him smiling and eating with the family!!
It's amazing!
Anything, tips, tricks, or well anything that will help me on this road that I have chosen, please let me know!!
I AM SO HAPPY!!!

Peanut_Farley

Asked by Peanut_Farley at 12:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My only advice would be to keep praying about it. My friend's son has ADHD but he has the most creative imagination I've ever seen. He was having trouble at school though (he's 10) and kept getting into trouble for talking in class and not finishing his work, so she finally broke down and put him on meds but she only does it during the week. He goes off them on the weekend and you can definitely tell the difference! When he's medicated, he's much more calm and mellow but not as creative. On the weekends, he's bouncing around everywhere, grinning ear to ear, loving life. I know she hates having him medicated for school, but was unable to come up with any other solution after years of trying. I pray the best for you and your son!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i dont have any advice but wanted to congratulate you and hope that your baby continues with his progress. I'm very happy for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• thank you so much!! I haven't quit smiling since Christmas Break started. I am so glad that I've done this and pray that I am able to stick with the right decision for him and not go back to being easy :)
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 12:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• you guys will be fine. i'm glad that it's working out. just keep doing what youre doing. When he's a grown man, he'll thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I don't have personal experience with this but it won't hurt to try. I have heard LOTS of info linking red dyes and HFCS and other food additives to hyperactivity and attention issues.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 12:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am very happy for you. Only advice I can tell you is to talk to him about things alot. It really helps me with my son
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I highly suggest behavior modification therapy with or without the meds. My own son has ADHD and was not put on meds until a year ago. He has done very well on the meds. He is the same boy on the meds, just calmer and performs much better in school, he is in high school and grades are VERY important at his age. He has taken up learning the guitar and this is one way for him to channel his energy. He is also involved in school sports to use up some of his energy. Good luck to your son and to you!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Maybe he was on the wrong meds? Or too high of a dose? My son is on ADHD meds, has been since he was 3. I never gave up when one med didn't work like we needed it to. I won't give up on him. And just because he's on meds doesn't mean we are taking the easy way out. He functions very well, he eats, and is social. He's never been a zombie. He is in therapy as well. I know some parents use the meds to babysit their kids, so that they don't have to parent as much. But not all of us. WE are not that way.

I'm happy you are doing what you feel is best for him and you. He's part of the equation, too. And I hope it does work out for you. But IF it doesn't, don't feel bad about retrying the meds. There are many of them. And if he needs something, he needs it. Nothing wrong with that.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son is just as creative on the meds as off. ADHD kids are brilliant. They see things differently. The thing is, when he's on meds he can actually do the things he wants to do because he isn't running in circles and bouncing off the walls. Literally.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Good For You !!! Congratulations on having your baby back. Best of luck to you and your son.
    Anonymous