Carseat?

So my daughter is almost 5 months and about 15 pounds. My question is when do I get her a different carseat than her infant one? Do I put her new one rear facing? Any suggestions on where to shop?

TalonMaree

Asked by TalonMaree at 12:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wal-mart has good prices, by law they must remain facing the rear until a year of age.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• the Graco Nautilus CAN NOT be used rearfacing TruckersWife426! That would make it a 4 in 1 by the way.

OP- you need a convertible carseat, and yes, it must be used rear facing until your baby is AT LEAST both 1 year old and over 20 lbs, but the longer you keep her rearfacing, the safer she is. Babies can sit rearfacing in most carseats until 35 lbs now, some maybe longer. I recommend joining the Car seat safety group and asking for recommendations. Target, Walmart, and Babies R Us will all have convertible carseats you can buy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You can get your baby a convertible whenever you want but at 15 lbs she has a few more months in the infant carrier if you would like.
    She MUST rear face to at least 1 year and 20 lbs and it's recommended to keep them rear facing until they outgrow their convertible seat... to at least 2 years but longer is better.
    There are all kinds of places you can look for seats, but Babies R Us lets you try the seats out in your car to make sure they will work.
    Stay away from any seat that is a 3 in 1... they aren't good seats and you'll end up buying another one in a couple of years.
    I would stick to one of these seats:
    Cosco Scenera
    Evenflo Triumph Advance
    Graco MyRide
    First Years TrueFit
    Any of the Britax Convertibles
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You can move to a convertible seat at any time. It must be rear facing until baby is at least 1 yr and 20 lbs, but it is recommended to keep them rear facing even longer then that for safety reasons. I love the True Fit, we have one, and I did check out the MyRide in the store, didn't think I'd like it, but I LOVE it and would get one if I had the need and money for another seat. We also have a Scenera, which is a decent convertible, but only FF harnesses to 40 lbs so that's a negative for me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Also check her height. The carrier will have a height limit, too. My 3 older kids hit the height limit on their seat long before the weight limit (well, my son came close to both). My oldest went from the carrier to a rear facing convertible seat at 4 months. She was only 13-14lbs but was 22in which was the limit on our seat. My son also went to the convertible seat at 4 months but he was almost 20lbs and was 23in.
    My middle daughter stayed in it until she was 6 months and hit the height limit (was still way under 20lbs.
    We had a different carrier with our youngest with a higher weight and height limit and she used it until 8 months when she hit 26", the limit on the seat (no where near the 22lb limit).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am in a mommy group and all of our carseats go to 22lb and 29 in. Urs should have a tag on it with the specs :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010