is your first house the house you still live in? If not what made you decide to sell or what made you decide to stay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• currently yes. Because of my husbands job, we were restricted to living in a certain area. Now that he works somewhere else in the same line of work, we have the option to move wherever we wish and we will. There will be a lot of positives...better schools, nicer neighborhoods, more community oriented. Not to mention we have just outgrown this home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. We rented a couple of places before buying our first house in Illinois in 1999. It was a small house, which was fine because we were 20 with no children yet. We sold it in 2005 right after we had our second child, and moved to Nevada. The house we have now is about double the size and in a city I love. I didn't like IL.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• This is the first house we've owned. We'd love to move, but basically would never get enough selling it to afford to buy anything else. We could sell for enough to pay off our debts, but then we'd have to go deeper in the hole to get an equivalent size house. If our house were in better repair (which we're working on, but since it basically needs to be gutted, rewired, replumbed, reinsulated, new windows, re-everythinged, it's a slow expensive process) and in a better neighborhood (we've had windows smashed in vehicles on two separate occasions, it's just not the best neighborhood) it would be great because it's big enough for the 5 of us, but it's in the condition it is and the neighborhood it is so we'd move in a heartbeat ... and my kids wouldn't have to change schools! Ahh well, we'll just continue hoping that the devolpers down the street will make us an offer sometime soon.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We sold our first home b/c my husband is military. We were there 4 yrs, I had 2 kiddos while living in that house and worst of all my dad passed away in that house :( It was so hard to sell but renting it wasn't really an option at the time. We now own another house but don't live in it again military move. It's currently rented out. We will probably sell in 4 or 5 years.
    bgcmommy

Answer by bgcmommy at 12:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. The first house we lived in as a married couple was a run down two bedroom house his grandparents owned and the let us live there for free in exchange for upkeep of the property. It was a piece of crap house, but I love that little house. I would never live there again, but I did love it, being our first house (we were married when we were still seniors in High school and DH worked 2 part time jobs along with going to school but we could NOT afford a house payment!). When I had DS a year and a half after we got married, he joined the military. We've lived at 4 different bases and in 11 different houses since then. But we love it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm staying because it makes more sense. With this economy and the real estate marekt i'm in. I'd be a fool to move since I would be a seller and a buyer. Seeing this happen has made me lean more on being comfortable with what I have instead of wanting to move. I just want to focus on making more money before I decide to move up again.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Before my grandfather passed aways and I inherited my home, my hubby and I had bought another home. When I inherited this home we sold the home we had bought. More then likely I will never move out of this home. The house was free to us and we have done the work that we wanted to do to it, and continue to work on it so it is to our taste. When my parents pass my son will recieve their home, hopefully this will be a very long time though.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We aren't living in the 1st home we ever lived in as a married couple since my husband was in the military when we married. We bought our 1st home 10 years ago this June and we will live here until we are buried or put in a home. This is our home, I fell in love with it 10 years ago and I still love it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yep. I love my house. I kinda wish it was on a 'back street' so my son could ride his bike and such...but, hey, my family lives 3 blocks away in a place like that, so we can just go there!
    My main reasons for staying is that, I first bought my house so I could be near my family and my job...neither of which has changed. And my house is about 1/2 what it would cost for an equivalent at this time...I can't afford double the house payment. Esp. considering how much I have fixed up this house!
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 4:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes! I will leave this house feet first. We live in the middle of circle about 1 mile in diameter that contains my mom, my sister and her family, my favorite aunt and uncle, my best friend's parents, lots of other friend. We have excellent public transit, access to fantastic schools, lots of stores we can walk to; there is no reason to move. We have been here 11.5 years, and our house is worth more than twice what we paid for it.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Jan. 6, 2010