Does it make you want to cry?

My almost 12 month old daughter has been starting to act out and hit people lately.. We've been putting her in time out, and then making her say sorry and give us a hug after.. but watching her have her fit is so hard it makes me want to cry.. Who else gets emotional?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 12:34 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Pretty much everything makes me want to cry when it comes to my kids (they are 17 month old twins). They are so cute and I hate when they are sad it makes me sad! Little things that make them happy make me want to cry for heavens sake lol....I think it's just part of being a mom. Either that or I'm a big wuss and need to up my medication. LOL. I want to cry just laying here thinking about them right now because I have to go to work in the morning and won't see them until after they get home from daycare around 5:30pm (when I get home). I just love them so much everything makes me all mushy.....gaaaaaah.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• your daughter says sorry and stays in time out and she isn't even 1? One is very young for time outs, but my 11 1/2 month old dd flings her arms around when she is upset, idk if she is trying to hit but it has the same effect. I just let her throw her fit on the ground and then when she is done we go back to normal.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure that 12 month olds get anything out of time outs....I may be wrong though. I think you just tell them 'no' in your discipline voice.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Time outs don't work at this age hun. She has no impulse control or idea of time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Kind of young...I usually told them NO in a stern voice and they got the picture.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It is time for you to spank her bare leg. She is beginning to exert her self-serving nature, and unless you break that up now, you are in for a very tumultous existence. She has to be taught what is and is not acceptable behavior and now is the time to start. If you want her to respect you and others, if you want her to be an obedient child, you must discipline and train her in that direction. She does not understand time-outs, but she will quickly understand that when she breaks your rules, she is going to feel the sting for having done so. I raised my three children in this manner, and my 5 grandchildren are being raised in this manner, and I assure you that it works. Just in case you have been told that spanking is abusive, it is not. It is in fact the least abusive of all manners of discipline, and the result is well-adjusted, happy, and productive adults. Your child should be the one crying, not you!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010