When you first read the bible are you suppose to understand it?

I am on the 5th day of reading the bible and some parts I am so confused about!

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Asked by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i started taking bible studies because it was a little hard to understand on my own. You're not the only one. Maybe you can go to your congregation, if you belong to one and see about getting a bible study started.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I tried reading it once and man...it really didn't make a whole lot of sense. It made me understand why it's so open to interpretation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• lol you are not alone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ive read it many times and although I understand the words and contexts, I dont know that I really understand it. Its obviously missing A LOT and is very open to interpretation.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It is really hard. What version are you trying to read? King James is VERY hard for me to understand, I had to go with NIV even though many say it's missing a lot. I'm not sure what would be missing though. My husband uses King James, so far mine isn't missing anything (we're comparing), but this is my first time through and I just started myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• At first no... its like when a baby is born, they do not understand you yet but as they get to know you then understanding comes. Same thing with the Word of God and your relationship with Him. It is a growing process! As you read and get to know His voice, in time revelation of the Word that you read will come! What book are you reading and what bible version?
    I suggest reading the book of John first and get any one of these translations NASB NKJ V and NLT you can also get the paraphrase bibles such as NIV and The Message to go along side the translations. Biblegateway.org has all the versions.. go get some the the difficult passage you have trouble with and check the different versions, sometimes it makes sense in one version and not the other. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Above all dont get frustrated and ask the Holy Spirit questions, I guarantee you He will answer! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• ",,,,an Ethiopian eunuch,,,,was sitting in his chariot and reading aloud the prophet Isaiah. So,,,,Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know what you are reading?” He said: “Really, how could I ever do so, unless someone guided me?” And he entreated Philip to get on and sit down with him." Acts 8:26-31

Ask Jehovah's Witnesses to help you maybe? It doesn't make you one of them :) https://watch002.securesites.net/contact/submit.htm

PrivateWitness

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. Not always and as PrivateWitness pints out ^ not often without help either.
    Matthew 11:25 "At that time Jesus said in response: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and have revealed them to babes.
    1 Corinthians 1:27 "but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put the wise men to shame; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put the strong things to shame."
    JWMomElizabeth

Answer by JWMomElizabeth at 5:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I didn't understand it all the first time (I was reading it to point out contradictions). When I really wanted to know what I was reading I got a few concordances, Bible dictionaries, and lexicons. These helped a lot with semantics, but it was the Holy Spirit Who fed it to my soul.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010