FLU

Hey girls i have the flu the dr prescribed an antibiotic but im very low on income so i cant afford to get the meds because i dont have enough for my copay .Any one have any tips that can help me till friday when i do get paid .I got over the counter cough meds and im drinking lots of lemon tea with honey .It has me very mad i got the flu shot and the h1n1 and i still got the flu talk about bad luck huh

hush84

Asked by hush84 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Health

• An antibiotic is for a bacterial infection; the flu is a viral infection.
    Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• REST. Is te best thing yo can do even better than any medicine after all it is VIRAL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• That's true...the flu is a virus...why the antibiotic? They do nothing for virus's. I take elderberry when I feel like I'm coming down with something, although I imagine your doctor would tell you it won't do anything for you. I've been taking it for about 10 yrs and haven't had more then one or two colds in that entire time.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yea If you have the Flu you normally dont get a anti-biotic. I also have heard the Elderberry syrup is great.(I have it just havnt used it yet)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    Feel better

Miso soup is my secret weapon in the battle against viruses:
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Shows how well vaccines work, eh? ;)

I don't take meds when I have the flu.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 6, 2010