When does the DR start checking to see if you are dialated?

I have 10 weeks left, still going to Dr every other week. At what week does the Dr. start to check your cervix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My DR doens't check your cervix for dilation until you are 38 weeks, but every DR is different!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• mine did at 37 weeks.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Most doctors start somewhere between 36 and 38 weeks, very often at the time when they start having you come in every week. But cervical dilation and effacement don't really tell you much about when you're going to go into labor. I didn't have a single check with my daughter's pregnancy! My midwife would always ask if I wanted her to check me and I always just politely said no thanks. My daughter wound up being born at home so no cervical checks during labor either. It was actually pretty nice, a lot less pressure to have my body do things on their timeline. Cervical checks during labor can get REALLY painful and it was nice not to deal with that.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my midwives don't check. they only have ever checked me when it was time to push. personally, i don't like people poking around down there.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Mine doesn't check at all during pregnancy and very limited durig labor, with my first i was checked twice during labor and with my second i wasn't checked at all.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm 35 wks 3 days and had dr appt today and he checked me today but every one is diff I have incompetent cervix with cerclage in place to hold mine closed so thats probably why i got checked today but i think with most its like 36 or 37 wks
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Alot of drs dont. It isnt really necessary. U could be dialated for weeks and no labor in sight. I had my doc check my at 36 weeks cause my mom was going out of town and she asked me to to assure her i wouldnt have the baby without her:) And i was dialated to a one :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:11 PM on Jan. 7, 2010