Everyone's on antidepressants these days or what?

Is this the miracle cure? What about non-medication ways of dealing with stuff like meditation or a better diet? Are antidepressants safe? Can't they harm your liver or brain? Are the results better than the potential side effects (seizures, lack of sexual interest, heart attack, fainting etc etc etc)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There are people that are in need of the meds. Are you a doctor? If not then I would hope you don't tell people what they should or should not take. I do not take any meds but if I needed them I would take them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Nope, i dont take medication because i dont believe in any. I dont like crap going in my body! I dont take over the counter meds either or get vaccinated or my kids.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm not on anything but BC and that has side effects too. But when a person takes a medicine prescribed by their doctors it means the benefit outweighs the risk. You do realize everything we do has a risk to it. If you drive there is a risk you can be seriously injured. There could be a better way but the person has the choice to choose whatever way they feel will work best for them.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The problem is doctors. They throw pills at problems. Depression is a mental health issue and should be treated by a mental health professional. Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'd rather take the meds and deal with the effects than not take them and suffer the effects of THAT. Works for me...and that's all that matters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34712755/ns/health-mental_health/

This is an interesting question and was just in the news today on MSNBC? I can tell you as a person who suffers from depression/anxiety and have been treated both off medication (during my pregnancies) and on medication. The benefits can definitely outweigh the risks. BUT with that being said, I do agree that it should be treated by a mental health professional and not just your regular PCP or primary doctors. The individuals in the mental health field actually study the drugs and understand how they affect your brain and body. Also, exercise and alternative treatments are available and do work as well. I have started working out and KNOW that my depression is not as severe anymore. Also, talking helps. I have also done accupuncture as well. But what works for one person doesn't work for another. So it's all geared specifically on individual's needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The problem is, yes, it's a mental health problem. But when someone is too deeply depressed, how are they going to be open to therapy? It takes a combination of the two, not just one.
    I'm not on them. I've been on many. They didn't work, because I don't have depression. I am bi-polar. I take medicine so that therapy will help me.
    Think of it this way. If you have an open wound with debris in it, should you clean it out and put an antibiotic ointment on it? Or just let it be and bandage it up? Which way will heal faster?
    Just because YOU don't feel YOU need any kind of medication doesn't mean nobody else does,either. It's not fair of you to judge someone that does need it. And at least they can admit they need help, and seek it.
    Also, many doctors give patients what they ask for so that the patient just shuts up. It's wrong, but when a patient keeps on and on and on, they just give it to them.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My Dr. and I explored every option when it came to my pmdd. The only thing that seems to help is Prozac. I haven't had any bad side effects, and feel so much better now. I don't judge anyone for the choices they make. Talking to a therapist about 2 weeks every month I feel like I'm going to lose my mind isn't going to help me. To each there own... I hope you never have to deal with pmdd, it's not easy..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Obviously you have never had depression, anxiety, or suicidal thoughts OP.

If you had, you wouldn't be making such ignorant blanket statements. I surely hope nobody close to you ever develops any mental health issues.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I couldn't have said it better then rkoloms.

Dr's are to willing to just throw scripts at you and not look at things holistically. Some people truly need medication to deal with anxiety and depression but I think there is an overkill of people who take them daily just because their Dr gave them a script. The only time I were on anxiety meds was after I had my hysterectomy and I was having problems finding the right hormone replacement to take. That was hell, but once I found the right med I no longer needed lexapro.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010