New York City-funded Guidebook for Heroin Use

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York City-funded guidebook for heroin users offers information on how to prepare drugs carefully and how to care for veins to avoid infection.

The state's top official with the Drug Enforcement Administration calls it a "step-by-step instruction on how to inject a poison."

DEA Special Agent-In-Charge John Gilbride says the handout is "very disturbing."

View the Guidebook Here (PDF)

But Mayor Bloomberg defends the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's decision to print the pamphlets.

"I would certainly not reccomend to anyone that they use hard drugs or soft drugs," he said. "But our health department does have an interest in if you're going to do certain things to get you to do it as healthily as you possibly can."

The department printed about 70,000 copies of the handout.

Ok. Wonderful use of taxpayer money, right? Your thoughts, please....(after you pick you

29again

Asked by 29again at 1:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I just want to say that I can't stand the "they're going to do it anyway" excuse behind so much enabling behavior.

I've been to enough "family of addict" meetings to know that's the exact wrong approach.
    Anonymous

• http://www.hannity.com/article/new-york-city-funded-guidebook-for-heroin-use/10133

Go here to see the original article, where the link will work for the guidebook.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Wow...I am speechless
    mire621

Answer by mire621 at 2:15 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• you know, I live in NY and have all my life and these things never cease to amaze me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It is similar to teenage pregnancy. Nobody wants it to happen but it does happen and it has to be delt with. I by no means encourage drug use, but I do see why they have done this to a certain point.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Wow! I read the guidebook and this is mind boggling. All we need now is for Uncle Sam to stop the (so called) war against drugs and legitimize its usage, as in other countries???? Does this also mean that NY is overrun with heroin users? What about chrystal meth?
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• but I do see why they have done this to a certain point.

Not to be mean, but I do not see it. I see A) Drugs are illegal, and you go to jail for the possession and/or use of them, and B) hey, here's some instructions for shooting up correctly and safely. Talk about some mixed signals! I think this is a huge waste of time, resources, and money.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• But Mayor Bloomberg defends the city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's decision to print the pamphlets.

republican
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No different than the controversial needle exchanges that have occurred in the height of the aids scare.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Carpy has once again raised a very good point!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2010