I know this has been asked before but...tips and ideas on homeschooling wanted?

I want to look into homeschooling my son and daughter and want advice from parents that home school. Im looking into the program that involves a school for some testing and sports and activities. I want to know how you mothers do it? Whats your schedule like for different subjects and what a day is like for you?

lapetiteamie

Asked by lapetiteamie at 2:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Look into K12 or IQ Academy. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• www.thehomeschoolmom.com is a great website; we don't homeschool, but MaryAnn (the mom who runs the website) has fantastic resources that we have used for enrichment.

CafeMom has a couple of very active homeschool group.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Like rkoloms said, there are HSing groups here on CM, but I will answer for ya:

We HS but we go through an umbrella school. Basically, we send attendance records and grades to them every quarter, and that's all we do with them. The rest is up to me!

My curriculum style is eclectic - I don't use one full curriculum program. I pick and choose what I want from various sources.

We are Christian. We use bits of A Beka curriculum (abeka.com), Apologia for science (apologia.com) , I put together my own curriculums for English and Math using workbooks and online worksheets, Spanish we use various resources and hope to get a good software program soon, etc.

There are TONS of different curriculums and resources to use. There are books to help you research them out and you can go online to places like homeschoolreviews.com to see how people like things or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We use a 5-day workweek, like PS. Sometimes we adjust and do something fun during the week when less people are out and move our schooling for that day to a weekend day.

Three days a week we stay at home. We start at 9 am and are usually done by lunch but it depends on subjects, moods, etc.

Two days a week we go to the library to work and start about 10am and are done by lunch.

We also have various activities sprinkled throughout the week. PE classes, AWANA, park days, various classes for activities such as art, martial arts, hopefully swimming in the spring, etc.

It can be tiring but a lot is learned and you're free to make your own schedule. We can plan vacations when we want, make the holiday breaks as long as we want and when we want, do schoolwork in the summer if we choose, and there is no "homework" to deal with once the kids are done for the day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I contacted my local School Board. They have to be notified that you are homeschooling so they can keep track of the work for approval. I asked them and they told me all I needed to know, even where to get free txt books (teacher edition as well as student edition)

Answer by admckenzie at 1:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• if you get the licence , and have the time to do it. fine. but its something both your child and yourself have to stick to , and really do it.So I wouldn't do it unless you were really serious about it.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010