Can I loose weight just by cutting calories and not excercising?

I am physically limited and cannot exercise or even go for walks.
I did cut my calories from 4,000 to 1,500 and tripled my water intake.
Is this enough?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 2:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Have you considered aquatic exercise? This is one of the BEST forms of exercise because it's no-impact and provides light resistance and you can add resistance as you get stronger. I "Walked" laps in the pool to gain strength after a couple of hip surgeries (at the age of 16). I couldn't walk yet on land but in the water, I was able to do it. Even sitting exercise is better than none at all.

There are 3500 calories for every pound of body fat. So if you eat 3500 calories beyond what your body needs to work properly (called basal metabolic rate). 1500 is a typical BMR, so you're okay there. Make sure you get that many and that where you get the cals from is healthy food. Unless you were only drinking 2 glasses of water before, tripling you water intake won't really make you lose weight but it could make you sick. You need about 50-60 oz. of water daily.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You will lose weight. A few years ago, I went on Weight Watchers and changed my diet but I didn't exercise. I lost a lot of weight. Exercise would have helped me tone up and get firm.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 3:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No, it is not enough. You will lose weight, but chances are your skin will sag without toning exercises. Check with your doctor about what exercises you are physically able to do, i.e. chair exercises.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 4:02 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You can lose weight without exercising, but you can't be healthy without exercising. Start slowly; 20 minutes a day, three times a week, take a brisk walk around your neighborhood.

You need to do more than just cut calories. You need to eat quality calories.

To get to and maintain a healthy weight, and set a great example for your kids, you need a healthy lifestyle.
    I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Remember- you have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 lb!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• you can sit on your butt and lift your legs and your arms. your going to lose maybe a small percent of what you would if you BURNED those calories by doing something physical. whatever the limitation is lets fix it, and then you will see real results and the water is much more than 8 8 oz glasses, it goes by the individuals body weight, take your body weight, divide it in half and thats how many oz a day you need minimum.
    rozepyle

Answer by rozepyle at 9:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It depends what your height is and what your ideal weight is. You need to eat calories to cater these things.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am also physically limited and lost 35 lbs by just cutting calories, but it took 2 years for it to happen. You will be saggy, depending on how much weight you lose though. But you will lose weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It will work to a degree. But understand that starving your body may not be the healthiest approach. Your body is smart and realizes it's not getting as much food so it adjusts. But then if you eat more, your body stores it for when cut the intact again. So this could backfire. Just be sure that when you cut the calories, you slowly add more when you ready, rather than just resuming the old diet. Also consider some less physical means of exercise. sitting and moving your body up and down or stretching legs out and back. lift arms up and down or out to the sides, then hug your body. Every little bit helps. And if you start small, overtime you may build up strenght to be able to do more, such as walking around the house (if you are capable of walking, that is)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• If you are willing to eat the right foods, you can lose quickly and healthy. I have lost 45 lbs in 6 months JUST by diet, and trust me my doctor agrees that losing at least 10% of body weight if you are obese will make you more healthy overall including cardiac. I have lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol by eating a low fat, low sodium, non dairy diet. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds if you are a VERY VERY CAREFUL grocery shopper and cook. If you would like more information, PM me.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2010