sleep training

my ds is 2 months old and i'm wanting to start sleep training before i have to go back to work around summer time. he'll fall asleep at a good time but it's most likely either in my arms or in his bouncy. i want him to fall asleep on his own but every time i place him in the crib while he's not dead asleep, he wakes up and won't go back to sleep without me or the bouncy... is this something that he will outgrow or is it going to last? should i start later on the training?

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Too early by even the sleep trainers standards... and he will learn to put himself to sleep eventually, typically they can do it by about age 2... some sooner, some later. If he doesn't respond to gentle encouragement (routines, putting down sleepy) chances are he just needs help going to sleep and theres absolutely 100% nothing wrong with that. Some kids just take longer to mature.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• WAY too early for this. I went back to work full time when my daughter was 8 weeks old. Co-sleeping allowed me to get enough sleep to be functional; it was easy to doze or sleep when she nursed during the night, and so nice to not have to get out of bed to feed her.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I don't think it's too early, but I guess it would depend on the baby. You said when you put him in his crib "he wakes back up" - does he fuss, is he just looking around, does he scream, etc? If he's just looking around, that's fine and he may eventually close his eyes and just drift off. If he's fussing, have you tried seeing how long it lasts? (One of mine used to fuss for 2-3 mins and then would drop off. I wouldn't let him scream - he's a little young for that.
    I used to hold, rock, snuggle with mine until they were almost dropping off and then I would lay them down with a blanket scented like me from being under my shirt during the day, a "heartbeat" bear that mimicked my heartbeat (a white noise machine would work too) and a pacifier. People used to be amazed that I could just lay down my babies and they would go to sleep, but it's because I worked on it and "trained" them

Answer by missanc at 9:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i think it's way way too early. a 2 month old baby needs mommy/daddy comfort. my parenting style is to give the comfort baby needs. but of course every parent is different!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Most people are saying its to early but i did it with my son. He always went to bed in his crib. He has only slept with us in our room one time and he is 7 months old now. He has been sleeping through the night since he was just over 2 months. My son wont even take a nap unless he is in his crib. I dont think its to soon. Try putting him down in his crib for a nap or when its almost his bed time and if he cries then let him try to comfort himself to get to sleep. I can honestly say that at that age unless he was hungry or needed changed he wanted nothing to do with me or my husband. He would much rather just be left alone so it was easy for me. But i dont think it is to soon. If he cries to long then go in let him know that he is ok and once he is calmed down enough then set him back down. Its not going to be an over night thing so be patient. Good luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:37 AM on Jan. 6, 2010