3 Democrats — 2 senators, 1 governor — to retire? Christmas came late!!!

WASHINGTON — With the 2010 election year barely under way, two senators and one governor — all Democrats — ditched plans to run for re-election in the latest signs of trouble for President Barack Obama's party.

Taken together, the decisions by Sens. Chris Dodd of Connecticut and Byron Dorgan of North Dakota as well as Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter caused another bout of heartburn for Democrats as they struggle to defend themselves in a sour political environment for incumbents, particularly the party in charge.

As 2009 ended, Democrats watched a string of their House members announce retirements and one congressman defect to the GOP.

Now, with Dodd, Dorgan and Ritter out, Republicans have even more to crow about, if not better opportunities to pick up Democratic-held seats.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 6:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If Obama got elected again with republicans in charge of congress that would be fine with me. They keep each other in check that way.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Blumenthal will EASILY pick up Dodd's seat. And if you didn't like Dodd then boy are you going to HATE Bulmenthal. He's all kinds of awesome. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think this is a dbl edged sword for the Rs. If the balance is shifted to the middle, affecting decisions made, IMO this only strengthens Os chances of being reelected. A move back to the middle will likely pacify many, many voters in this country. I think the Rs want voters to be miserable and wanting of change in order to secure the 2012 election.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• and 6 republicans are
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Carpy- I actually agree-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• How do they have better oppurtunities? If a dem chooses to leave that position, that doesn't mean if will be picked up by a republican...and funny that you think automatically thats a good thing without even knowing WHO the republicans are that would replace them....

Aren't there even more republicans vacation positions? Anon said 6 I don't usually rely on the words from anons...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

I agree with this. We have done well with Dem as President but Republicans actually making the laws. So it wouldn't bother me. Now Obama will take all the credit if Repubs could turn things around or blame them if they get worse but I don't care about that stuff just want this power grab by Dems to end. Not good when either side does it. I just want Repubs to have a clear enough majority they can get things done like they did when Clinton was in office.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Aren't there even more republicans vacation positions? Anon said 6 I don't usually rely on the words from anons...

I would trust an anon over you and your blind hatred of Conservatives. Will post anon in support of them.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would trust an anon over you and your blind hatred of Conservatives. Will post anon in support of them.lol

You are the little stalker huh? lol..You said the same yesterday....I don't have a hatred of conservatives, I dislike and disagree with alot of the ones on CM because of what they show here ...so that isn't blind and isn't represenatative of all repubs

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I personally know many wonderful and polite and classy conservatives who don't irritate and criticize and they don't use the term "Libs" and don't accuse the President of being a socialist. It is only here at CM that the nasty conservatives come out and spout their nasty phrases and speak as if the sky is falling. They insult and make themselves look bad.
    But, no, I don't hate anyone. I just don't respect them. ;-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010