Obama prods Congress to pass health bill quickly?

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is prodding House and Senate Democrats to get him a final health care bill as soon as possible, encouraging them to bypass the usual negotiations between the two chambers in the interest of speed.

Obama delivered the message at an Oval Office meeting Tuesday evening with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and his No. 2, Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., joined in by phone.

They agreed that rather than setting up a formal conference committee to resolve differences between health bills passed last year by the House and Senate, the House will work off the Senate's version, amend it and send it back to the Senate for final passage, according to a House leadership aide, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss the private meeting.

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 7:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How could anyone be surprised? With the possible upset of a Republican taking Kennedy's seat in this special election in two weeks, that would be a huge blow to the filibuster proof majority that they need to pass anything. These people are so slimy. The fact that it's being done so quickly and not correctly is going to cost everyone more than they can imagine.

JMO

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• QuinnMae, I think you are exactly right! Why people do not see what is going on before their eyes amazes me but is scary as hello as well.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ronj, what is scary, what they are doing, or that some don't see it? I find both scary!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The displays of absolute power are just stunning. I think the ones leaving their positions and the ones at high risk of being voted out is going to have devestating effects on the dem party. Dirty Harry Reid is likely gone as well as Dodd.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• like Bush pushing the Patriot Act that took away some of our rights with only a few copies around for people to read?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am personally disgusted like never before at the way they are handling this. This is so un-American, that I cannot describe it!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yeah, anon. I guess it would be somewhere on the same scale. I wonder how much the Patriot Act cost us though. Was it somewhere between 1/6 and 1/7 of our economy? The fact that they included wording in there that goes against congressional rule, but Reid can't be bothered by pesky little rules that keep our government in check. If Republicans were trying to pass something like this, Democrats head would be doing an exorcist turn and flames would be shooting out their ears.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

How is it unamerican? Was it unamerican when republicans did it?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• it is un-american to pass the largest most costly bill ever without revealing it to the public, and without allowing our representatives to participate in debate and negotiation. it is wrong to propose taxes on those that can't afford health insurance. It is wrong for tax payers to pay for abortions. It is wrong to dump the public option (the whole point of this bill in the first place) and keep a huge bill of pork.
    Will anyone move to impeach the president, or will we all just wait and start voting these people out of office?
    IMO, the patriot act was for our safety. Who knows what this bill could bring along with it. This is a time when big government should be decreasing spending, not increasing it to record amounts.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• "like Bush pushing the Patriot Act that took away some of our rights with only a few copies around for people to read?"

Anon, if you are upset about this, you must be furious that Obama not only kept the Patriot Act, he expanded it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010