infant acid reflux

My little one has been diagnosed with reflux. It was actually very scary. He had a very bad episode Sunday night where he wasn't able to breath and we had to call 911. He's been at the hospital ever since and will hopefully be discharged tomorrow.
My question is to find out if anyone else has experienced this with there lo and, if so, what was your experience? What treatment plan did you follow, what worked and didn't work, what advice would you have for me. Etc...
Thanks...

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 7:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One episode does not necessarily mean that your baby has acid reflux. Reflux seems to be the diagnosis du jour these days. Everyone and their dog has a baby with reflux, and I think that a lot of it is just normal spitting up. Can you be a little more specific about what exactly happened to your son?

That said, reflux is frequently caused by dairy protein sensitivity. Most moms just medicate, but that isn't necessary in most cases. If you're nursing, cutting out dairy for 2 weeks will tell you if he's sensitive to dairy. If you're formula feeding then you should try to get a prescription formula from your doctor and try that for 2 weeks, because soy proteins are almost the same as dairy proteins and most babies with dairy problems also have soy problems.

Good luck and I hope your little guy feels better soon!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:00 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My LO has BAD reflux. She was diagnosed within just a few days of life and put onto Mylanta. By 2 weeks she was on Zantac and by 6 weeks we were using Zantac with Prevacid. We stopped her meds when she turned 1 hoping that it would have resolved itself. Well it hadn't. She was gagging and puking with every meal. I do mean EVERY meal. After 6 mos of watching her puke 2 times a day or more, we went back on the Prevacid, and she has been completely normal and is gaining proper weight. I wish you the best of luck and when they are little keeping them in an inclined position after eating and when sleeping is usually best.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My husband has BAD reflux, so bad that his esophagus is scarred and he chokes on food. Our son has a bit of it, but it got better as he got a little older. He spit up CONSTANTLY as a baby, not just spitting up... but all of his feeding. It was quite scary and annoying. But thank God, we got through it! And so far, as a toddler he has been 100% fine! We just limit his sugar extremely and he drinks milk only with breakfast and water the rest of the day.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• the problem with meds is that often times once you start, you can't stop. Starting a baby on meds when their liver and kidneys are not fully functioning can only lead to trouble. Try no dairy before you try drugs. I can't imagine the scare you are going through right now...how old is your baby, maybe you can start breastfeeding now if you aren't already. dairy is the #1 food intolerance/ allergen. why is it the first thing we give our most precious at their most vulnerable time in life?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My 13 year old had that same problem when she was a baby too so we tried water and juice instead of dairy all the time and just added a little food like dry oatmeal, in the dairy and try not to let them eat so fast cause their babies and like to do that.Other than that pray for patiences. My daughter grew out of it so its just one of those unexplainable things that just happens or is it? You just have to be on patient and see. you'll get through this it just take time. God bless.
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 10:20 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i just read about chiropractic care helping with acid reflux.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• when my 9 week old ds was born he had constant spit up and half the time it was extremely chunky.... like curdled milk. he's on zantac and as long as he's on it strictly once every 12 hours, he doesn't that chunky stuff. i also find that he goes to bed usually 2-3 hours after i've given him his night dose and when i miss a dose, he's up for a while screaming and won't settle until the medicine kicks in. good luck. if you are breastfeeding, fast flow is a cause of acid reflux. if that is something you are dealig with, check it out. i did and hopefully i'll be able to wean him off zantac
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 6, 2010