I would like to ask for some tips in handling teenager girl like my 11 yr. old daughter

its just that it seems that there are so many things that shes does not want to open up to me anymore , just like before. and ive notice also that shes becoming "masungit" to us

virlie

Asked by virlie at 7:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• She is a normal pre teen girl! At this age they are learning about theirselves and are finding their own way. When she is ready and you are not pushing her to talk she will come to you. YOu have many more years of this to go thru, sit back and be ready for the ride.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 7:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My DD is 10, and has started this phase as well. I realized that I'm still treating her like a little girl, when in fact she is growing into a responsible young lady. When I started treating her as such, she started talking more. I have had her prepare simple meals for dinner, "watch" my 2 year old while I'm in the shower, and do little chores around the house. I've also started looking through fashion magazines with her, talking about the latest styles - and how "real girls" don't really look like the ones in magazines. I've been doing this for a few months now, and it has really helped our relationship. I can't shut her up now! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I like what "scuba " said, it makes allot of sence doing the magazine thing, I'm going to start that one,thanks.My 10 yr old is so into reading and also confused right now about being the oldest and having 3 yonger bro.'s & sis.'s She has 2 older siblings that don't live with us.She reverts back to the 4 yr olds because I think, she is always around the smaller kids at home.Sometimes it turns into a mess, argueing over a small childs toy.When she has all these older girl stuff to do.She's VERY bright, top in her class so I know she's just trying to figure out where she is in the present .Not little anymore but still not a teen, and starting to test different waters, uhg we all have a good place to talk about it right here, I know I'm thankful.Good luck with all your stuff she'll talk when she's ready as long as she know's you want to listen.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• yup, scuba has the scoop. I had my 12 yr old and her bff one weekend, we went to the mall (just the 3 of us), we shopped, bought them some stuff, came home, went through magazines, hang around her room, did one of those magazine tests with them, oh, we played with my make up stash which they loved, I also have her cook simple things, eggs, quesadillas, pasta, you know, little things, we talk about twilight, I mean, you just have to relate to them at an older level, you have to be sneaky, don't just ask straight out about the things you want to you, sit one day, do your nails and then talk about things. it's just not the same anymore, you can just MAKE them tell you things because you're the mom and you say so, they're growing up and you got some growing to do too in order to relate to her better. best of luck.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• has she started her period? Usually girls shut down around that age it's called preperiod depression LOL she's embarrassed about what's happening toher body just let her know it's all normal and part of becommng a woman nothing to be embarrassed about
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 8, 2010

• yup, growing up its so nice and yet so hard,but for the both of you not just for the one. Just try to stick together and understand each other. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:42 AM on Jan. 8, 2010