what can i do with him that teaches him things

My son is 14 months old. I read to him (sometimes he likes it). Sometimes he shows a small interest in coloring. I need ideas of things to do with him that teach him stuff. Any ideas?

smiley1979

Asked by smiley1979 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Everything he does is a learning opportunity for him. Take him outside to see the trees (when it isn't cold), draw shapes, point out colors. There is so much that you can do. My 18 mo got a great set of stacking cups for Christmas and we have turned those into a huge learning area. Stack the specific colors, sizes, show me colors. It has been a lot of fun. Don't try to push him to much, you want him to have fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:01 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Reading to him is an EXCELLENT thing to do. Also, introduce him to music, NOT rap or something of that nature by classical music. Toys that work on eye/hand cordination are great as well. Do not use the TV as a babysitter though. That is the worst thing you can do for a child, really it is. Just have fun with him, he will grow before your very eyes and this time you have with him is some of the best times of your life.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 8:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I created areas in every corner of the room to capture my kids attention, i.e., maps, puzzles, colors, shopping carts (to pick up toys and put them up), building blocks, dress up, planets, bugs, vowels, consonants, vaccumn, ironing board, microwave, stuffed animals, puppet show theater, etc. Reading and singing are excellent ways to capture and focus his attention. I started playing classical/opera music as a sign it's time to take a nap. This worked out rather nicely, I might add! LOL
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Good morning, I have a 16 month old (just turned) and he loves to climb and grab things! I think coloring is great but he might take to blocks and cars more so.We look at books togehter and he see's his big sisters reading and that helps him spark the interrest to want to look at books.But for us I think my son is much more hands on at this point.So I count blocks and build with him.He loves to take walks outside and touch stuff.He's very intuitive.He loves to be biussy.So the more we do the better.He loves water too, so setting up the kitchen sink(so he doesn't fall or get hurt) and then putting things in the water, ya know like a water table at pre-school is allot of fun.He has play dates and loves to see his body now, he's so cute we say, belly btton and can point to one in a book of babbies and animals, and say those names.Once you start trying things others will just pop into your head, good luck hope I helped abit'.Steph
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:33 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• get some of the leap frog refridgerator magnets that teach your child abc's and 123's its fun
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Anything you do with him teaches him. My 14 month old loves his shape sorter right now - he loves to put all the pieces in and then dump it out and do it again. We also got some great 3 piece puzzles for Christmas with animals.

Answer by missanc at 10:09 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Keep it simple at this age. Let him touch and explore on his own then describe it to him (the leaf is green, it feels crunchy, etc). You can talk about colors of things, shapes, textures, etc. You can point out shapes in his everyday world as well as with a shape sorter.Simple puzzles, scribbling (try triangular crayons that don't roll and are easier to handle). At that age, everything is new and can be a "lesson".
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 6, 2010