Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Question

Alright so I filed child support & andy and I just got the summons papers well I guess he requested for a court date because he doesnt agree that he should pay as much as he should but I agree that he should pay that much does that mean I dont have to file anything if I agree with everything in the papers or do I still have to attend just because he requested one.e Child Support & Custody time are two different things too. Its hard because he lives in MN & I live in Wi.

Well it says in the papers that on 11/01/2009 12/31/2009 he must pay 500.00 now does that mean he has to pay that even though we havent been to court yet or etc..I dont get to talk to my child support worker until tomorrow and why is it they always use big words so we dont understand what they are saying.....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • If it tells you that you have to be there in the summons then you have to be there unless you hire an attorney to represent you

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:32 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • The thing is it doesnt tell me I have to be there it just says I have to respond within a certain amount of time & that they gave me a paper saying if I want to request a hearing I will be able to. there hasnt been a set court date. What do they do at child support hearings. I am scared its not really me asking for the money its the state because I am receiving medical assitances but they have to put my name on the papers because the money is going towards me or something like that. I mean if I wanted to could I just have him pay back how much he owes and than lower it.?

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • They use formulas to dertermine how much support is to be paid. And yes, you need to be present at the hearing. It would look bad on you if you do not go. They will ask you and him both questions about does he help you with childcare expenses, etc. He will have to pay what the court orders him to pay. If you recieve assistance through the state they will ensure you get child support, generally when you recieve support you are over income for assistance if you also work and earn income. The state does this to lower the amount of people on assistance through the state. And he will more then likely have to carry insurance on the child if he has it offered to him by his employer.

    Answer by ronjwake at 9:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • He does have insurence on the child but I also have insurence for him so I just dont get the whole thing.its not really me asking for it either its the state who does it but they have to put my name on there because I am the one receiving the money

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
what do you think ( abortion)

Next question overall (Health)
double chin