I have a newbon and a 2 year old, who will eventually be sharing a room. At what point would you move the baby into the new room? When he sleeps through the night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a son who will be 20 months when his younger sibling is born this July. Eventually we're planning on them sharing a room at least for a couple of years when they are toddlers/preschoolers. We are going to give up our playroom for a short period of time until I feel like I can put them together. I am planning on doing it when the younger one is around 6 months - judging from my other 4 kids, he/she will be sleeping through the night at that point and hopefully we will have transitioned the older one to a twin bed at that point.
    I wouldn't put them together before the baby is sleeping through the night, but you also have to think about naptimes and whether or not they will coordinate or if one will wake the other when naptime is over.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• not until the baby is a toddler...or able to sleep in a toddler bed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• That is what we did. We had a 3 year old and a new baby. It wasn't until a few months ago that they started actually sharing the room and the baby will be 1 on Monday.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• When my little one out grew his bassinet, we moved him to the crib in the same room with his brother. I think he was 4 months and showing signs of rolling over or something. Or maybe he met the weight limit on the bassinet.  They are 3 1/2 years apart.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• just remember that some kids don't sleep through the night for many many many months :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yeah I would do it maybe 1-2 weeks after he starts sleeping through the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My mom moved me into my sisters room when i was able to sleep through the night. I was still in my crib and my sister was in a todler bed.my mom said she would check on us in the middle of the night and find my sister in my crib cuddeling up to me like a was a baby doll haha. She said that it was never a problem when i was sleeping through the night
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i moved mine together when thebaby was 3m. she was sleeping through the night by then. i wouldn't do it before.

i would also wait until your oldest is FULLY potty trained during day, and probably 70% night
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• We didn't move our daughter until she was over 18 months. She never was a good sleeper, but our oldest was and we didn't want the youngest to bother her. Once we knew she was sleeping a large chunk of the night without waking, we moved her.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i think possibly if the baby is sleeping through the night really well and won't disturb the toddler then its ok. i dont really like to have my baby in the room with me cuz he sleeps better away from me. but its not fair for a toddler's sleep to be disturbed by a baby, so if u have to wait a year or year and a half to get the baby in there, do it
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010