How would u feel?

My mother in law just referred to herself as mom to my husbands ex girlfriend on facebook. I feel as though it was a slap in the face to me indirectly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• A lot of young people call we older mom's "mom". That's probably where that comes from. It's nothing personal against you but tell her how you feel and maybe she'll be more respectful toward you if she knows it bothers you.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:16 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• maybe she did it on purpose cuz she knew it would piss you off...or maybe the gf doesnt have a "real mother" and she stood as a mother figure when they were together
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• That is between them just as long as she does not interfere with you and your dh don't even worry about it and dh doesn't show any signs of wanting to be elsewhere live your life just stay away from people that bring you down so what if she IS you MIL. It is how people treat you. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ask her why she's refering to you as the ex, either she knows something you don't or she has a problem w/ you you need to address to have a good relationship w/ your so.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Do they still talk and have a close relationship, sometimes MIL's have a difficult times with the change of girlfriend thing and mom are very overprotective over their sons, it takes sometime for a MIL to like you, give it time!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I agree w/ jsimonds. Sometimes they still have a close relationship. While my MIL has passed away, my SILs still refer to hubby's brothers' former wives as their SIL, even directly in front of their current wives and they are also invited to all family gatherings. I would personally find it awkward if I were the current wife, but they all seem to get along just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Although a lot of my adult son's friends call me mom, I wouldn't refer to myself as mom to an "ex" girlfriend, out of respect to both my son, and the new girlfriend or especially wife, even if we were still friendly. I'm sure that your MIL just really cares about the girl, and didn't consider that this would hurt you, but I definitely understand your hurt. I don't know how close you are to your MIL. I would talk to your husband first, and then probably to your mother in law. Sometimes it is hard for us moms. Our son's meet a girl we really connect with, and then break up and meet a new girl. But, I do agree that family loyalty is very important.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Ugh the trashy mother in law...mine is like this...she wanted all her sons gfs to be her "daughters". It was sick. I was the only one who didn't think it was cute and cool and woohooooo I married one of those sons. Delete her off you FB and forget about it. She's a loser.
    Anonymous

• 1. ITS WEIRD YOUR MIL STAYS IN CONTACT WITH EX
    2. ITS WEIRD YOU STAY IN CONTACT WITH EX (FB FRIEND)

IF YOUR BOTHERED BY THIS, STAY OF EX AND MIL PAGE, ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WHAT THEIR RELATIONSHIP IS ONLY THING IMPORTANT IS HOW YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MIL IS THE EX IS THE EX YOUR THE WIFE, NOTE TO SELF YOU WON!!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• OHIO4, Tell me about it! I cant stand the fact that his ex girlfriend is still in the picture. Shes even married. Yet my MIL invites her to all the parties they throw. I dont want to come across as the jealous wife because I know my husband only wants me. But...I wish his mom would actually accept the fact that I make him happy.
    Anonymous