My three year old ?

I have two little boys Nicholas is 2 and Anthony is 3, well the problem is that recently Anthony doesn’t pay attention when my husband and I talked to him, it’s like we have 0 affect on her. he just keep bothering his brother and make the 2 years old cry and everything I say to him he does the opposite, now I just yelled at him at all the times what makes the situation worse I am with them all the time since I stay home; sometimes I feel so stress that I don’t want to hurt them (thanks God I haven’t). I just want them to grow up with a sense of respect and to know to listen when they are asked to do something. I need some advised on how I can make my sons listen what I say without yelled at them.

pulguita

Asked by pulguita at 9:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yelling and screaming does not work. My sis does it all the time and it just makes her son even more wirey. I've always been very calm with my son and just asked him to stop doing something and if he didnt hear me i would ask again..then i would say sternly "dont make me repeat myself please"...(that would mean i was getting upset) and if he didnt listen still then i would take away what ever was keeping him occupied and tell him to do what i asked then he could have it back or to answer me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Do time outs. 1min of there age. Talk to them why they are sitting there and they need to sit there for "x" amount of mins. and if they get up. I will sit you back down and start the timer over. With my youngest 2 yr. I will have her start it and stop it. That really seemed to help her stay there. Know when I say do you want a time out that usually does it. We still have our moments but I find it really affective.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:38 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• ya..its a phase..my 2 year old is in it too..she doesnt hear us..lol.. she ignores us..but if i stop and talk calmly she reacts but if we keep raiaing our voices she doesnt pay us any mind..its crazy..my hubby yells at her cuz he thinks she deaf but her hearing is fine.. she just ignores..its so weird..our oldest didnt do that.. and plus when the oldest is in the room and they are playing she will hit her and look at us like what bitches.. and walk away..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• GET DOWN ON HIS LEVEL ON YOUR KNEES AND EYE TO EYE TELL HIM EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECT OF HIM NOT A STORY BUT EXACTLY WHAT YOU EXPECT HIM TO DO OR NOT DO. IF HE CONTINUES WARN HIM OF A TIME OUT AND IF HE CONTINUES PUT HIM IN TIME OUT. KIDS HAVE SELECTIVE HEARING IF YOUR TELLING HIM SOMETHING AS YOUR DOING THE DISHES HE IS NOT GETTING THE MESSAGE EVEN IF YOUR YELLING----BUT IF YOU STOP WHAT YOUR DOING AND IMMEDIATELY GO TO HIM AND----HE WILL KNOW YOU MEAN BUSINESS. GOOD LUCK
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 6, 2010