TTC work and timing

Didn't get much response in TTC, so will ask here.

For those that worked when trying to concieve, did you consider the affects of having a baby on your career? I'm an accountant, and as I'm sure you all know, tax season is a very busy time of year for us! I'd like to try for baby #2 soon, but am concerned about how giving birth and taking leaving during tax season would affect my career. I know legally, and ethically (it's a very good firm), it won't impact me greatly. But I wonder if it's really wise to be out the one time of year the firm really needs me. I know there's no gurantee I'd be pregnant any time soon anyway, but I don't know if I really want to wait another 6 months just to start trying.

Thoughts? Anyone else been through a similiar situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm a CPA, and I did only TTC a baby that would be born between May and November. I work for a very small firm, and I knew they depended on me to be available during tax season. However, I also had fertility issues and was in my mid-30's, so at some point I would have given up on trying to "time" a baby and just tried to get pregnant when ever it would happen. My boss was very supportive and would have dealt with my absence even if it had been in tax season, but luckily I became pregnant with twins that were born in August. I worked reduced hours or was on maternity leave from May through December and went back to full time just as the next tax season started.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I think that maybe you should wait until this busy time of year is over and then ttc. For me I was really tired and on a emotional rollercoaster when I was pregnant. It would probably be best if you didn't have that added stress of being so busy at work. Of course you can do whatever you want. It's just advice. Good luck.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 9:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I was a teacher when I had my kids. When I had my son, he was inconveniently born the week of state testing. But you know, they did fine without me. It was more work for them, but I couldn't imagine putting off my plans for a job.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010