Have you been to a dermatologist for acne?

I am at my wits end. I am 35 and have had acne since my early teen years and nothing seems to work. I have all types of acne. If you have been to a derm is it covered under insurance? Pros and cons? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I went to one a while back and I looked in my insurance book to find one that would be covered, so all I had to do was pay the copay.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i went to one about a year or so ago. I only had to pay the co-pay for the visit. But, all the doctor did was look at my face then prescribe me some stuff. I went about 3 times before I had had enough. The prescriptions were getting ridiculously expensive(one was $70), none of them seemed to work, or they just made my skin worse like dried out and did nothing for the acne. Every case is different though, but I was pretty unimpressed with the dermatologist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• ya..i was on acutane for a while and dont get it bad bad n e more.. i have a flare up once in a while if i seat bad but not bad..it isnt as bad as it was..so ya visit the dermotologist..i dunno..ive never not visited them..i had skin cancer so i c them every 6 months
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You should call your insurance agent and check to see if your plan covers dermatologists. In my experience you have to find something that works for your face. For a while plain old Clearasil was great for me but then my face almost became immune. My niece is having great results on a Skinplicityskin regimen. I even ordered some of their products just because i was impressed by the way its been working. I like them a lot and I do think they are good quality if you want to look into that. What have you been trying?
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 11:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Yes it was covered under my insurance - if your insurance doesn't cover it, you're family doctor can also give acne prescriptions. Also talk to them about available generic versions of prescriptions (that will save lots of money).

For me, going to the dermatologist was the best thing...after all the time and money spent on things that didn't work, the light antibiotic pills and creams did the trick faster and cheaper.
    Anonymous