Visiting real places of the bible....

Have any of you been to Biblical lands like Jeruselem or Rome, or vacationed at religious places, or visited actual footsteps of where Jesus lived and worshiped (if it does)? Sitting here in America kind of makes me forget that such places exist and have been perserved. I mean, is the spot where Jesus was baptized marked or something.....just curious?

3gigglemonsters

Asked by 3gigglemonsters at 9:54 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't been, but my husband has. He is a minister so he gets to go every other year (I have to stay home to take care of the babies : )

I love looking at all the pictures he takes, and he calls me to tell me everything they are doing. They visit all the sites from the Bible. And it is really safe and nice. Although they can't go into Bethlehem anymore because it is dangerous now. The people there are very nice and they welcome the tourism. I don't know if you have seen any of the commercials they are putting on TV now?

The only places they have to be more careful is in the Arab quarters. Just being honest, not trying to be mean. But it is crowded and they try and steal your backpacks and grab the girls. In fact, our group wears our backpacks in the front instead of on your back as they walk through those quarters. It is pretty weird.

Anyways. I would love to go.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I haven't personally but my father has been to Bethlehem.  I asked him if he visited any biblical sites and he said no, he was looking for the nearest pub.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:13 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I've never been but I know of Bible-land tours and cruises. I'd prefer to go with a group of people, instead of just DH & I, for that kind of thing. When the kids are grown we hopefully will.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:47 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• wenona ..... actually there are Christians living there that are Americans ... it is best to go with a ministry team you get hooked up with the right people. My church has a team that go to Israel each yr. Many ministries do, A friend of mine leaves next month to Israel with a ministry and they will be ministering to the children and woman who are in the slums. I personally would love to go to Israel on a ministry trip with the intercessory team! God LOVES Israel! Pray Pray Pray for the PEACE of Jerusalem!!!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Who said that Palestianian's don't like Americans?!? FYI- they have NOTHING against the American people, I am American my DH's family are Palestianian and LIVE in Palestine, and they LOVE ME so much. True some Palestianians don't like the politicians but find me an American who doesn't have some dislike of a politician and I will be shocked!
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 2:10 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I didn't say all palestinians don't like Americans. That is like saying if you go to Jamaca and you have to watch your purse from people who want to swipe it, then all Jamacan's hate Americans. There are certain places, when you travel where you have to be careful. People say the same thing about New York right? Does that mean that all New Yorkers are criminals? No.

Someone questioned the safety of going to Israel, above ^^ I was pointing out that it is safe. But in certain places you need to watch your belongings and your booty. There are places like that in the Caribbean, the US, Europe, etc. I wasn't imputing criminal status to all palestinians. But the truth is, my hubby has been there and he has seen it and you need to be careful there. Just like we were in the Bahamas.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:25 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• According to History Channel, Nat Geo, and A & E, the city where Jesus walked is several layers below what is there now. Jerusalem has been fought over and destroyed numerous times since the time of the purported Jesus of Nazareth and none of the original buildings or streets where he set foot are even accessible. I have never understood pilgrimages to supposedly "holy" places. A place isn't holy because of the land it stands on or what it is. What happened there might be holy, but I was told, when I was a gullible christian, that only heaven and god are holy.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'd rather see Myan and Egyptian pyramids as well as Stonehenge and Easter Island myself...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You should practice safety no matter where you go.

WitchQueen - Yay! A Nat Geo buff just like me. I find the places interesting but I would never bow down to it or anything like that.

Keep em coming.......
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:15 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

LOL my dad was alright because he had a tank and it was the Germans he was worried about.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010