Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about birth certificate.

My daughters father never signed her birth certificate and has never really had anything to do with her. Well my fiance now WANTS to sign it. How would we go about this legally? Would we have to wait til we're actually married, because that may be a while. Mainly because of our finical situation.


Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • How would we go about this legally?
    You contact the bio father and have him relinquish all rights.Do not tell him another man is planning on "adopting" your daughter. The clerk's office of the family or juvenile court in your area has legal forms for terminating parental rights. Once that paper is signed you can then take it to the court and have your fiance adopt her.

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • Your fiance can adopt her after you get married.

    I do not recommend this, but this is your other option, if you don't plan on getting married anytime soon, your fiance can sign an acknowledgment of paternity claiming that he is her biological daughter. That will put him on the certificate as her father and it does not require DNA testing, and give him full rights to her and if you two break up he will have to pay child support. Here's where this method gets complicated, if her biological father comes forward and wants rights a DNA test will be done, your fiance will have rights but the biological will have that first, both could endup having to pay child support and all three of you may get joint custody.

    A male friend of mine signed his gf's daughter's birth certificate knowing she wasn't his and they are having this problem of the biological father coming forward.

    Answer by viridian at 7:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010