splotchy, dry skin, irritated red hands

my son's legs are all splotchy and itchy. also just yesterday his hands got all bright red from being dry and itchy. i guess i just don't know what is normal for itchy winter skin and what is not normal. i have been using aveeno lotion on him but i'm not sure it helps and yesterday it was burning him. he was crying because his hands hurt. we are going to take him to the doctor asap just to get his opinion/advice, but i wanted to see what you all think...? my husband used to get similar splotchy skin around his knees, elbows, and armpits and he always called it psoriasis but when i google images of psoriasis, it looks nothing like this.

my son is 2 btw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe try some baby aquaphor. It's kinda greasy but really good for really dry irritated skin, so perhaps put it on him before he takes a nap and before bed.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:40 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It may be eczema.  It can be hereditary as well.  The Dr. can prescribe intensive cream for him.

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I usa a product that the company I work for makes. Its called Renew and it works. I had eczema real bad wen to the Dermatologist and the meds they gave me and creams and lotions didnt work. Its safe on children of all ages. Let me know if I can help.

Danielle Shellhorn
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 10:42 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• ezxema ( i dont know if i spelled it right) my son used to have it when he was smaller....but in the winter his hands get very dried out and usually washing his hands irritates it or using santitizer. I would say dont wash so much if you tend to over do it and keep his hands moisterized using cortaid or something for dried cracked skin...maybe the doctor can call something in
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i did look up eczema and some of the pics look similar but most look much much worse that what he has so i'm thinking it might be mild eczema...? thanks :) also my sister suggested aquafor for his face because it gets chapped in winter.

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Hey OP, I think its Johnson & Johnson that makes a stick for chapped skin. I bought one from Babies R Us when I lived in Boston a couple of years ago. It worked so great protecting my DD's baby face in winter and had Aloe in it. I wish I could remember exactly what it was called... Anyway, it looked like a wide chapstick, but you use it on the entire face.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son gets like that too...I've been putting neosporin on his cheeks and hands...it stays on longer than lotion and it really works well. Put it on before nap or bedtime.
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Try cornhuskers hand lotion...my 7 y/o daughter gets this when she goes out into the cold alot and this works wonders. It actually calms it and by the end of the day ( 4 applications) it is noticably better next day it is usually cleared up. Good Luck!
    IgnorancesBliss

Answer by IgnorancesBliss at 12:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• It sounds like eczema - my daughter had severe eczema on her hands - the only thing that helped was Renew lotion - it is a natural products and it works! - her skin cleared up within 2 weeks and she hasn't had an outbreak in over 3 years! If you would like more information please contact me through my cafemom mail.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• How is your son's skin? Did you get it cleared up - I hope so - that can be so uncomfortable :(
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2010