Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the 1st step a father should take when separated from wife to pay child support?

My brother, currently separated from his wife needs to know where and what he should do first to pay child support and file for divorce? There are 2 kids involved. He is clueless! And doesn't want to give her cash anymore till it's documented that he is paying child support. He lives in NYS. So far she kicked him out of the house (that is in his name), took both vehicles from him because they were registered in her name and she is the one who had an affair! Any advice??


Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • To get an idea of what he'll have to pay he can google a child support calculator for his state. He needs to hire a lawyer and file the paperwork for the divorce and his lawyer will help him with the child support amount. He may not have to pay as much as the calculator says if she works.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • She can't kick him out of HIS house. Let her call the police. They will laugh in her face. As for the car, tell the lawyer. The court will ask her which one she wants to keep but he can have one if he needs one.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • Go to the courts and have a date set to determine the amount he should pay...tell him not to give her cash because that's how my husband got screwed over by his ex wife....she told the court he never gave her anything, when he had been giving her cash for over a year...put him right into arrears right away. If he wants to pay her until the court date is set, use a check so it can be documented!

    Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • p.s. Even if she owned the house you can't just kick people out anymore. She would actually have to evict him...which she can't bc it's HIS HOUSE!

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • He can go to the child support office and by law they have to help him. It will cost him $25 to file with them. There are formulas that are used to figure out what he will have to pay. And if he gives her money he needs to do it by check not cash until they go to court

    Answer by ronjwake at 10:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • Contact a lawyer. Not for spite or anything but you must have custody sorted out.

    Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

  • I am in oklahoma and when i left my ex husband with my 15month old dd. he did not pay anything till a month after the divorce was finalized.took 6 months. good luck. go through the courts and no cash payments as stated.

    Answer by mommyofone802 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010