Should incarcerated felons get to vote?

OLYMPIA, Wash. – In a decision that could give momentum to other efforts to expand voting to inmates, a federal appeals court ruled that incarcerated felons should be allowed to vote in Washington state.

There's a patchwork of laws across the nation concerning restoration of felons' voting rights, but only Maine and Vermont allow those behind bars to cast ballots.

The 2-1 ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday overturned the 2000 ruling of a district judge in Spokane. That judge had ruled that Washington state's felon disenfranchisement law did not violate the Voting Rights Act of 1965, and dismissed a lawsuit filed by a former prison inmate from Bellevue.

The two appellate judges ruled that disparities in the state's justice system "cannot be explained in race-neutral ways."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100106/ap_on_re_us/us_felons_voting

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:23 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, they should not.

After they have paid their debt to society in the eyes of our current laws, they should be able to vote.

justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 11:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. They shouldn't.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:24 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• no
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No, they should not be allowed to vote. Could you imagine how many more Democrats there would be if felons were allowed to vote???
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:25 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No. There are consequences for your actions, and that happens to be one of them. I can't imagine spending our tax dollars to make sure that CRIMINALS get to vote! Sorry, you're there because you've given up your freedom because of your bad choices. You are BEING HELD for your crime....you HAVE LOST your priveledges!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 11:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• i think they null and voided their right to vote as soon as they committed the crime that put them in prison. They are obviously not upstanding citizens, so why should they be treated as such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No,

Stupid people make bad choices in all areas of their lives, not just at the polls.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:30 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• OOOOOO-M-G! Ok I live in WA and this came out in our paper today and there are all of these huge discussions going on on the news paper website. Let me tell you, the reason behind it is "race" and the fact that "minorities" are being discriminated against. WELL NOW, let me tell you, the "minority" in WA state is WHITE PEOPLE! I'm not racist, I'm married to a Mexican man, my baby is half, trust me, I'm not racist, it is just the fact. It is stupid, no they shouldn't vote. GRRR

Well thanks for posting this so I could vent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

There are plenty of republican convicted felons..Ted Stevens was elected AFTER being convicted, Randall ( Duke) Harold Cunningham, Lewis "Scooter" Libbey....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• NO. Abso-freakin-lutly not. Good Grief! Is this NEVER going to STOP. There are consequences to actions!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 6, 2010