epidural and scoliosis

I am a L&D nurse and have talked to the anesthesiologist and they said an epidural can be done with scoliosis...but I'm terrified! I didn't have one with my son but am seriously thinking about it this time. My sister in law has scoliosis and her epidural didnt work well...and my scoliosis is worse than hers. Any of you have an epidural with scoliosis and how did it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was advised against by a close family friend who is an anesthesiologist- she said that I would carry a 200% (2 times!!!) higher risk of permanent damage, ie paralysis! and that is was far, far, far less likely to be effective. can't remember the stats she gave me for that, i was not even considering one, but she felt it very important to tell me that my risk factor went way way up- THAT i do remember!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:46 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Trust your gut; the after-effects of an epidural can last for more than a year.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I had the corrective surgery for my scolosis and they would not even try an epideral. Also I had to have a c-section so they put me to sleep during the procedure.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 1:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I don't know if I would risk it. I don't have scoliosis. I have rheumatoid arthritis, though. I never had back problems prior having the epidural... and now I have back problems. Whether it was from the pregnancy itself or the epidural, I'd never know. But the pain is concentrated at the epidural site. It's a risk, and you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:21 PM on Jan. 6, 2010