Would you get mad if I didnt want my daughter playing with your kid(s) if they were sick??

My sister came to my house with her twin girls.. (they are both sick !!) When my daughter gets sick its war in hell ! So i told my sister that my daughter couldnt play with her girls but only because i didnt want my daughter sick. My sister got all butt hurt and left. Then like 30 min. later she calls me and i dont answer. She leaves me a messed up voicemail telling me that she wont be over to my house for along time. And that if i wanted to see my nieces that i'd have to go to her house and see them. I feel kind of bad ... But then i dont because I dont want my daughter sick !!

Soooo I dont know what to tell her !!! Would you have done the same ? What would you do ?

b-uuurrr-niece

Asked by b-uuurrr-niece at 11:45 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has asthma and when he gets sick he ends up with an attack, so yes I wouldve done the same thing your sister is being too sensitive, just let her know once again that was the only reason and remind her of the hell she is prob going through with hers being sick.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• No way. I don't see why she got so bent out of shape. If your child is sick, related or not , you should be considerate of other children. Espcially with swine flu going around. you don't play with sickness nowadays.I would've dont the same. Don't worry she'll get over it.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't want my children around any sick children. Your sister shouldn't have taken her girls out when they were sick anyway. Let her cool off, then give her a call and tell her, you love all of them, you just don't want your child sick because it's very hard on her and you just didn't want to risk putting her through that. I think you did the right thing, but do call her and talk it out.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:50 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my youngest has a seizure disorder....so a fever is a very BAD thing for her.

I don't want mine around sick kids either - hard to control it at school and out and about but its easily controllable at home.

you were totally reasonable to me.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• She shouldnt have taken her kids out of the house if they were sick to begin with, you are not wrong at all. Moms who just drag their sick kids all over the place really bug me, especially when they drop them at daycare or send them to school. It is rude and in many ways neglectful to knowing spread the illness, even if your child isnt contagious anymore i dont want my kid around it on the off chance that it might still be something you can spread.

I have seen so many kids sent home or refused daycare because parents dont think ahead about the fact that they cant send their child.

You were not wrong at all, sorry she is butt hurt over it but you were completely right.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:52 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• depends on the sickness. It's your kid, so I wouldn't be too upset, just irritated if all it was is a little cold and you kicked us out. She's no more likely to get a cold when symptoms are showing than from a shopping cart or going to the park. So it might just be a pick your battles thing with her. If you went ot her house and the kids had the sniffles, would you have packed up and went home?
    Anonymous

• I don't blame you one bit. When ours are sick I don't let them around anyone, being sick is no fun for anyone. I especially don't let them around my MIL, she had cancer and chemo a few years ago and it left her immune system pretty messed up. Almost every time she gets around somebody that's sick, she's ended up in the hospital.

As far as your sister, I've got two of them myself. If it was me, I'd just not say anything about it for now, let her act like a child if she wants to. Don't let it get to you, she'll get over it at some point.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I don't blame you at all. I actually think she was being really rude and selfish by bringing her sick children to your house and exposing your child.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would have done the same thing. Is it possible you were a bitch about it instead of telling her nicely? Maybe she took it the wrong way.
    Anonymous

• I've told friends and family before if they were sick then we didn't want to be near them, and I'd have done the same thing as you. Your priority, is family comes first that means their health is your responsibility. I've had others try to come near us sick and I tell them no, I've even turned away people at my door step or if they've come in my home I've told them I think it best they leave since I do not want my family sick.

IMO I could care less how it sounds; I won't lie or fluff things up. I consider it rude to come near other people sick on purpose and so if their feelings get hurt because I don't want to get sick then I'm fine with that as long as they walked away learning the key lesson; don't come near me or my family sick. I have a very low immune system and so it's just a rule I follow; I don't go near others sick, and they don't me.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 12:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2010