how much is a restraining order in MN? (even if your not in MN) more questions apply....

do you need proof?
how long does a restraining order last?
does it go on ones record?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• And yes, a TPO will show up on a background check. In few states it will cause a hold to be put on the sale of weapons. In GA, if someone has a TPO against them, they are supposed to relinquish their fire arms, but that is rarely enforced. A TPO is a matter of public record and copies of the information can be found online on the county judicial website where it was issued.

In GA you don't have to say you fear for your life. You just have to say you fear you are in danger OR that the person may harm those close to you.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:00 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I live in Mass. You can get a order but you have to say you fear for your life those are the key words, its free in mass, the first one they issue you have to go to court and they extend it a week at first, then the second time they usually extend it for a year and yes it is in the records both the week and the year and they are public record.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• In GA a TPO = temporary protective order lasts 1 year. The case is heard by a judge. Most people do not have a lawyer. It is free to file for one. The judge swears int he parties and hears both sides. The judge rules on "preponderance of the evidence" which means who seems more credible. Evidence helps. Witnesses help.

Family violence cases are more likely to result in an order being fulfilled than say an exhusband's new wife is making harrassing phone calls.

When you go in to testify, the judge doesn't want a lot of back story and emotion. Just as many facts as you can get together. You have to seem credible. You have to seem unfaltering and truthful.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:56 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Price I don't know. But no you don't need proof the order will be for 2 weeks and then a court date will be set to determine the need for a longer order. If you have proof that whatever happened take it with you and you may get an order that protects you longer.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• And that's North Dakota. Sorry I shouldve stated that.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 6, 2010

• SC is a witch to get a OP (Order of Protection)... especially if you are married. it is different from a restraining order, an OP comes with a mandatory 30-90 day lockup EVERY time it is violated. restraining order simply means that the person is to limit contact and not harass you- it is a worthless document, and rarely enforced.

I tried to get an OP 3 times, my ex was stalking me (living in the woods behind my home), is an ex SEAL- threatened to pick me off (his words) with a high powered rifle while I was asleep, told me that if he couldn't have me no one would- and that went for the kids too. calling continually (30 + times each night)... I got him on that one, but without "Evidence" ( i had no witnesses to the event- we were alone when he said those things) the judge said that it was his word, and that he believed no man as well spoken as my ex would do such a thing. it was INSANE!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010