What kind of housecleaning is ok for pregnant women?

what is ok to do and what not to do to much of?

davidsmom311

Asked by davidsmom311 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Don't clean the cat poop and be careful of harsh fumes.. Besides that clean away lady!
    Anonymous

• I was told no litter box changing and no cleaning with ammonia products. Anything with strong fumes, keep a window open and step out side for fresh air when you need to. And of course, don't drink cleaning solutions but I'm sure you know that already :)
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I do everything I did before (and more when nesting kicks in). We don't use chemicals in our house and DH cleans the litter box but other than that scrubbing floors, cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming, etc. I do it all up until I give birth. I am 39 weeks 1 day and I think a good hands and knees floor scrubbing is calling my name today.
    happySAHMmomof2

Answer by happySAHMmomof2 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Just please, for you and your baby, use non-toxic cleaners!!

This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• litter box only applies if you have no already been infected before conception- but thats non-applicable because 99% of us wouldn't even have known.

outside of harsh fumes, like chlorine (ammonia is nowhere near as harmful) there is nothing you need to avoid. pregnancy is not a disabiilty or a disease.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• *disability
    ObbyDobbie

• ditto....

its not like you're broken. just be aware of what you are capable of (espeically in the later stages - hands and knees scrubbing is pretty hard to get up from lol been there done that...regretted it)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Don't change the litter box if you have a cat.

I am 39 weeks and do all the cleaning I am pregnant not disabled or ill. I use non toxic stuff when not pregnant so that carried over to pregnancy. I did 4 loads of laundry, cleaned all 5 bathrooms, cleaned the kitchen and downstairs mini kitchen. I am not even tired just taking a break so I can play online. I think staying active and doing normal activities keeps a pregnant woman healthy.
    Anonymous

• All of it unless you're a high risk preg.

Remember women all around the world work up until they deliver; pull the baby out; clean themselves up and go right back to work.

ObbyDobbie is right: "pregnancy is not a disabiilty or a disease"
    Anonymous

• I'd like to think that since I'm pregnant, I don't have to do any house cleaning!! However, the reality is I still do the same things I did before....boo.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010