Don't know what else to do?????

My 4 yr old son started vpk 2 months ago. Before this being he is an only child, he was never really around other children his age. Except a friend we visit once in a while. Well since he started vpk he hits, kicks, pushes other kids and the teacher. And I don't know what to do to stop it. We have taken away toys, games, computer, bowling, and going outside. We have even tried positive things such as if he didn't we would take him to Chuck E Cheese or buy him his favorite candy or cookies. He has even been spanked over it as well. But nothing seems to be getting through.

JrSmOm2005

Asked by JrSmOm2005 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The first rule of child discipline is consistency. Stop jumping all over the place.
    Make a reward chart, so your son can track his progess. When he meets his goals for a week, he gets a small present; when he has four consecutive weeks of good behavior, he gets something bigger, like a trip to chuck e cheese.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I started using push up for my 2,4, and 6 year old it's seems to be affective. Starting was hard though. My kids don't get any special rewards we can't afford much so no prizes. Obviously if they do their chore and behave then that leaves extra story time or even game time ect. Our 2 year old was the hardest, the hitting,biting,throwing things. I wasn't sure what to do anymore. Timeouts SUCKed,all that did was put me behind and I would have to be up all night finishing what needed to be done during the day. So with him I started more hugs. It seemed to calm him down and I would be able to talk to him without getting mad. His tantrums have seemed to fade and now since he can talk he is able to say what is wrong and we fix it. You can try the hug idea and just tell him "It's ok to be mad but it's not ok to hit,we need to find a way for you to talk about what is wrong so I can help you" you change it to suit your needs.
    mine01369

Answer by mine01369 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• He thinks hitting is a game he is not mad when he does. He just thinks its funny
    JrSmOm2005

Answer by JrSmOm2005 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 6, 2010