How do you pottytrain a boy who is 4 with special needs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we had to wait until our son could grasp the concept(he's 8 now with autism) He just got day trained this past May.Depending on your child's needs,you may need to wait for him to be ready,not when you are.Rewards work well.With our son it was stars on a chart.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son has autism and didn't potty train until he was 6. When he did potty train, it was a matter of finding a motivator - what worked was honeybuns. If he pooped on the potty, he got a honeybun, which he loved! (fortunately at the time he had a one on one worker who's husband worked for a vending machine company and could get them for free!) We were using a PECS system for him at the time and we would hand him the card for "potty" like every hour and make him go sit for 5 minutes (we used a timer so he could see when it got to "0"). You need to come up with something that's very visual. If charts work for him, that would be a good idea as well - for him to get one "star" or whatever each time he goes and then for every 3 stars or 5 stars he gets a "treat"

Answer by missanc at 1:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I hate to answer your question with another question, but I have to. What are his special needs? Are they physical, mental, or medical? In my family my nephew has Cerebral Palsy, but is mentally sharp as a tack, my son who has autism and a very low ID, and my other son who had medical problems. All three are special needs, but all three trained very differently. Could you possibly give more information, it might help more with the answers.
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010